• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flying eagle Colour designation

6 posts in this topic

Hi Folks

I am looking to add. FE to my set and am looking for one in ms64. I have narrowed the hunt down to a couple that would suit just nicely . One I would call RB the other BN.

This brings me to my question , Why is there no colour designation for these coppers ?

Price also doesn't seem to be effected by what I would see as colour differences in others like Indian cents of earlier Half/ Full cents .

Cheers Martin

I believe that NGC does not designate color on the copper-nickel (.880 copper, .120 nickel) Flying Eagles or the copper-nickel Indian Cents of 1860-1864. The color of these coins is considerably different than the .950 copper, .050 tin alloy that came to be used in 1864.

also they are 12% copper and 88% nickel and first appeared whiteish when first struck and they do sometimes taken on a red brown appearance with age and wear depending on improper alloy mixture/storage handling circumstances

but nonetheless no color designation by the services as these flyers dont change in color as drastic as their bronze brethern 1860-1909

as the flyers were never firey orangey-reddish hues like their 95% bronze counterparts when first struck and yes bronze indian head cents different dates date/mintmark combos have sometimes totally different appearances when first struck

so there you have it the subjective grading standards and employed subjective designations for different categories of small cents interpreted by the currently in favor slabbing factories