• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another PCI toner---Do their slabs cause toning?

10 posts in this topic

I bought this seated quarter at the Albany show on Sunday. I noticed the toning is very similiar to the toning on Wihlborg's dime. I wonder if this quarter was once white also.

Question I have is whether Wihlborg's dime and possible my quarter would be considered NT or AT? If these holders produce this kind of toning and it would be considered NT by NGC would it not be prudent to buy a lot of PCI slabs, crack them, put nice coins in them and let them sit for a while?

Anybody have old PCI slabs laying around?

639358-1891-25c-ms63-rev.jpg639358-1891-25c-ms63-obv.jpg

639358-1891-25c-ms63-obv.jpg.69153d268bbbc0bfd8e3b5e7afde528a.jpg

Wow nice coin and nice toning. It would be interesting to know if the holder did contribute to the toning or if the previous storage conditions were the main driver here 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The color on this coin looks very much inline with other coins of this era.

I do not think that the PCI slabs help tone coins. They have been around a long time and I have not heard of a large number of coins toning in their slabs.

PCI will also never, ever holder AT coins without denoting it on their holders as, "Questionable Toning".

They also place a red insert to assist the buyer/collector in recognizing these problem coins.

Yours looks good!

PCI will also never, ever holder AT coins without denoting it on their holders as, "Questionable Toning".

They also place a red insert to assist the buyer/collector in recognizing these problem coins.

Yours looks good!

Pat, the old green ones maybe, but today their holders are full of AT'd junk.

Regarding the coin here, I think it's ligitimate and looks like it came well before the holder. I've got an 1858 quarter with similar colors.

As far as the holders, I maintain the old ones did tone some coins. Whilborg's dime was in a 100% white holder, as was another toned dime. This coin is also in a 100% white holder:

I don't know where the new pictures that show the color are, but here are the old, crappy images:

pci_7978037174_obv.jpg

pci_7978037174_rev.jpg

Jeremy

As far as the holders, I maintain the old ones did tone some coins. Whilborg's dime was in a 100% white holder, as was another toned dime. This coin is also in a 100% white holder:

There are a LOT of SAEs as well as other coins in 100% White PCI slabs where the coin is toned. In the distant past I've seen coins come back from PCI with the 100% White attribute where the coins were not even close to 100% white when submitted. There are also many blast white SAEs in old PCI slabs without the 100% White designation.

Regarding the eagles, here are two other observations of mine to ponder:

1- Most are dated 1992

2- Most have a crack on the inside of the obverse plastic, usually in one of the bottom corners of the slab.

Chinook,

First, I’d like to say that I like your quarter very much. Congrats on a nice pickup. As for whether the old PCI holders caused coins to tone, I can’t really say. I had heard the rumor that they could cause coins to tone years ago, but I have only owned two coins in green label PCI holders before the dime I just bought from Jeremy.

One was a blast white silver Washington quarter that I cracked out as soon as I got home with it, and the other is a proof Jefferson nickel that is still in the holder, and after all the years that I’ve owned it, it is still completely untoned.

Did the dime I bought from Jeremy tone in the holder? I can’t say for sure because I did not submit the coin, but the label does say that it was 100% white when it was first put into the holder. Maybe the label is a mechanical error. But then again I have seen other coins that had toned in holders, and not just PCI holders, although never as nice as this the tone on this coin.

Bottom line is that only the person who originally submitted the coin can say for sure if it really toned in the holder, but these toned coins in PCI holders with labels that say 100% white may be the evidence that helps prove a rumor true. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

John

i also agree this type of toning is consistant with many other ms seated quarters from this era

and so i think this coin was toned like this before the coin was holdered

it is nice toning 893applaud-thumb.gif on this coin thumbsup2.gif

michael