• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why no star in the census?

10 posts in this topic

Cert no. 1713307-012 has a star designation on the holder (PF-64CAM STAR) yet it does not show up that way in my registry and the census shows 0 for this grade. The coin is a 1903 Barber Quarter. Is this something that NGC can correct?

• Administrator
Cert no. 1713307-012 has a star designation on the holder (PF-64CAM STAR) yet it does not show up that way in my registry and the census shows 0 for this grade. The coin is a 1903 Barber Quarter. Is this something that NGC can correct?

That is strange...I looked for this cert number in our database and it does not have the star designation in our database. Do you have a picture of the coin in the holder, with the tag detail, that you can email to me at dskeffington@ngccoin.com? I'll get this resolved for you.

That is strange...I looked for this cert number in our database and it does not have the star designation in our database. Do you have a picture of the coin in the holder, with the tag detail, that you can email to me at dskeffington@ngccoin.com? I'll get this resolved for you.

The pic is on its way to you via email. FYI - I have added a second pic in my registry as well which shows the tag. The URL for this coin is as follows:

1903 Barber

I see its been corrected now. Thanks to the NGC team... you truly outclass all other organizations with your service! (especially the one across the street)

Nice type set! I see you have a scarce Cameo Mercury dime. I like cameo proof coins too. My Mercury was/is deeply toned but has very frosty obverse devices. It didn't get a star or cameo designation though; I felt it deserved both. I didn't get my type set as complete as yours before I needed to sell it. I had fewer slots filled but was around the same position right near toyonakataro. That is because you choose scarcer dates. I prefered the MS 67 to the lower grade scarcer date. Anyway it is great NGC is so responsive and fixed up that star issue so smoothly!

Thanks for the compliments. You have a good eye to spot that cameo Merc. These little details tend to get lost in such a long list of coins.

If you thought your Merc deserved the Cam, you should have sent it back and asked for them to review - NGC is very accomodating that way. Sounds like your set was a pretty nice one. Hope it didn't hurt too much to break it up!

I did send my proof Merc back for a grade review. I thought the toning was too deep, and perhaps the reverse devices weren't frosted enough, to get the cameo. However it is a star coin to me but NGC didn't agree.

Selling the set didn't bother me much. I'm not finished so I still have some neat coins. I get coins on consignment so still have great coins passing through. Also the money is going for a good cause; it is for my daughter's current and future education. I'm happy to spend money for her.

Selling the set didn't bother me much. I'm not finished so I still have some neat coins. I get coins on consignment so still have great coins passing through. Also the money is going for a good cause; it is for my daughter's current and future education. I'm happy to spend money for her

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

the above is the best coin quote i ever heard on the boards

michael