• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What grade would you give this 'Drummer Boy'?

18 posts in this topic

Given the little white prongs, it is obviously NGC graded, but the coin has an odd look to it, like it's been polished. The detail is indistinct and flattened like metal has been moved.

I can't grade this because it looks so odd. It's hard to believe that the mint issued a piece like this back then because it was a special issue in either silver clad or copper-nickel clad Proof. It really doesn't look like a Proof, but it doesn't look like silver either. The overall look just doesn't add up. (shrug)

The finish on this particular coin is similar to that of a matte finish. I think that is what it would best be described as. Whereas a silver proof that I have is smooth as can be, this has a finish on it like it was sandblasted ... yet not in a destructive way.

Very hard to explain and maybe matte finish was far from a good description.

Brandon was right in that the left (obverse) is not quite in focus. The sparkles (for the lack of a better word) that you see on the reverse are also on the obverse.

The fields have no hairlines at all.

Here is a picture that was taken prior to submission and was taken through a 2 x 2 cardboard flip.

It seems to be in focus better yet has lint/string/fibers or whatever inside the flip.

1976_S_Bicentennial_Washington_Quartera1.jpg

Given the little white prongs, it is obviously NGC graded, but the coin has an odd look to it, like it's been polished. The detail is indistinct and flattened like metal has been moved.

I can't grade this because it looks so odd. It's hard to believe that the mint issued a piece like this back then because it was a special issue in either silver clad or copper-nickel clad Proof. It really doesn't look like a Proof, but it doesn't look like silver either. The overall look just doesn't add up. (shrug)

I'm not sure what you're seeing Bill, but this looks pretty typical for the 1976 silver issue.

I forgot that you had one in your set Brandon. I remember seeing it now and thinking (after viewing many 69's ???) why yours did not make 69.

You have a fine example.

To be frank I have not looked at these silver Unc. Bicentrennial quarters that much. The only one I have is in a special holder that mint director Mary Brooks signed at the 1976 ANA convention for me. I was and still am a lot more interested in the Proof pieces.

Larry got it with a MS66.

After looking at the before I sent in pics and the after they returned it to me - I would not have sent in the coin displayed in the top picture. I was just looking for a coin to make 5 in the submission. I am sure I could have found a better choice.

When it was still in the 2 x 2 flip it looked worthy as well as outside before I placed it into the 2.5 x 2.5 plastic flip.

I think I need better lights. hm

To be frank I have not looked at these silver Unc. Bicentrennial quarters that much. The only one I have is in a special holder that mint director Mary Brooks signed at the 1976 ANA convention for me. I was and still am a lot more interested in the Proof pieces.

The silver MS issues remind me a lot of what the 2005-2010 Satin Finish coins look like in hand. The surfaces are very soft looking. (shrug) Regardless, I have one in my type set and that's all -- so I'm not exactly an expert on the series. But, I have seen lots and lots of them in hand and they have a very particular and consistent look.

wdrob, nice example! (thumbs u

Your reveal photo is much better than the pics shown earlier in the thread. What we all were seeing was pics that did not clearly portray the coin. Just goes to show how much coin pics can be deceiving.

Nice coin.

Carl

I think everyone is confusing Brandon's coin with mine. He posted his MS68 as an example for Bill Jones.

Mine is the first and second photo.

I don't think I will ever be able to take photos like Brandon and others do.

I think everyone is confusing Brandon's coin with mine. He posted his MS68 as an example for Bill Jones.

Mine is the first and second photo.

I don't think I will ever be able to take photos like Brandon and others do.

Sorry Bill. I didn't mean to confuse matters by posting a pic...i should have known better, as that practice is actually one of my pet peeves in GTG threads, so I'll take down my pic. ;)

Again, very sorry! :sorry: