• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newp 1879 $3 gold

16 posts in this topic

It is hard to tell from those photos. The last one makes it appear that there is a fair amount of rub in the fields., which might indicate AU-50.

NGC graded this one, which is the same date, as an MS-62. I though it was a "super slider" AU-58 that was worth MS-60 money. I would not expect your coin to be as nice as this, but it should be fairly or somewhat close. BTW having coin with a mintage of 3,000 is kind of neat. :cool:

18793DolO_zps53a81a66.jpg18793DolR_zps4faa2f9c.jpg

From other examples of this year I've seen, isn't this year typically a soft strike that can appear as rub? Just wondering.

Thanks for all opinions.

Very nice EF. Too much disturbance in the fields to be a real AU.

So what is a "real AU"? In your opinion, NGC made a grading error?

Folks,

It is easy to be "conservative" about someone else's coin. The truth is that it is too hard to tell if NGC made a mistake or not. But, let's remember that grading gold is not the same as grading silver, copper or nickel. Gold is very soft metal and will acquire scuffs easier than silver or nickel. What may look like much scuffs on a silver coin may not be that significant on a gold coin.

In any case, the image is not good, and the holder also is scuffed.

As for the coin itself, regardless of the GTG issue -- like BillJones said, nice to have a coin that has a mintage of only 3000.

EVP

Folks,

It is easy to be "conservative" about someone else's coin. The truth is that it is too hard to tell if NGC made a mistake or not. But, let's remember that grading gold is not the same as grading silver, copper or nickel. Gold is very soft metal and will acquire scuffs easier than silver or nickel. What may look like much scuffs on a silver coin may not be that significant on a gold coin.

In any case, the image is not good, and the holder also is scuffed.

As for the coin itself, regardless of the GTG issue -- like BillJones said, nice to have a coin that has a mintage of only 3000.

EVP

+1 especially given the picture provided

No, there looks to be too much wear for an AU55 based on those images; however, I might feel differently with better images. The images are poor and the scuffs on the slab are affecting the transparency of the slab, which could definitely be throwing things off.

I recommend buffing the slab or possibly having the coin reholdered. Then I would have it professional photographed.

"So what is a "real AU"? In your opinion, NGC made a grading error?"

A true AU coin has only the slightest sign of abrasion on the highest portion of the design and minor disturbance to the fields where the luster is diminished. In my opinion the "grades" AU-50 and AU-55 are nothing but fluff intended to pump up the percieved quality of nice EF coins. In doing this, the bugaboo of gradeflation reigns supreme.

NGC and PCGS use grading guidelines that are not necessarily in harmony with what I learned from Frank Katen long ago and far away in a different numismatic universe.

"So what is a "real AU"? In your opinion, NGC made a grading error?"

A true AU coin has only the slightest sign of abrasion on the highest portion of the design and minor disturbance to the fields where the luster is diminished. In my opinion the "grades" AU-50 and AU-55 are nothing but fluff intended to pump up the percieved quality of nice EF coins. In doing this, the bugaboo of gradeflation reigns supreme.

NGC and PCGS use grading guidelines that are not necessarily in harmony with what I learned from Frank Katen long ago and far away in a different numismatic universe.

Yes, today's grading and standards differ significantly from how things were long ago. But I also remember seeing many coins called "proof" in old catalogs. And they weren't.