• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SLAB OR COIN? posted by Eagles-R-it

10 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

BROWN LABEL CIVAL RIGHTS RARE?

Hi, everyone. Read with great interest W.K.F.s post about the different third party certifiers. Bravo to saying what he did about the TV guy. If I sold all my collection for what he is getting, I might be upper middle class.

SERIOUSLY! I collect the Modern Commemoratives, and so far through out the years I have been getting the NGC Brown label. Trying to keep it uniform I guess. Usually I send some in for grading, but this time for the 2014 Civil Rights one I decided to wait and get it in the open market. This year, no one is carrying the STANDARD BROWN NGC label. I don't know why.

All the folks (dealers) I have visited with say get the Blue ER, it is better down the road. Someone tell me why a blue ER is better down the road.

Anyway looks like my set will become blossoming with color this year. No problem tho, blue is pretty, like the sky and ocean.

So does anyone have the proof 2014 Civil rights coin, and if so, is the reverse "SPECTACULAR" with it's special finish?

Great job on all your posts W.K.F. I enjoy reading them and keep up the great writing.

See more journals by Eagles-R-it

In all reality there is nothing different about a coin in a special holder. Yet there will always be someone who feels having it in a special ER blue holder will add value to the coin. "Buy the coin and not the holder" applies here.

If it makes you happy to have ER blue holders then so be it. I could care less if it is brown, blue, flag label or special presidential holder. My collection has many different holders and it is fun sometimes to be able to date when a coin was graded by the style of the holder.

The only instance I can think of for why a blue label will be worth more down the road is because after the Early Release period then they will all be brown making the number of those coins in ER blue holders less than the brown, but seriously we are talking about coins that are not rare in any way. There will be thousands of these coins in PF70UC. I wait until the hysteria goes away and I can grab one for just above its release price. :banana:

I agree with Wells, for the most part - I collect coins, not labels. Brown, blue, who cares, as long as the coin merits the grade. There are only two exceptions I make:

1) Truly "limited" coins that are certified based on the set they were a part of, like the 20th and 25th Anniversary Eagles. The coin is the same as the general issue MS or PF but the pedigree only comes if the coin was submitted as part of the set.

2) Coins in their original issue packaging like the GSA Morgans. You can find the same technical grade in a regular slab, but there is added value (to me, at least) in having the original GSA packaging with the coin.

I also agree with WKF about the shopping network coin sellers. I never intentionally watch those shows but occasionally see them when flipping through channels. What I have seen, without exception, are ridiculously overpriced, very common coins (90% modern, with an occasional batch of Morgan or Peace dollars thrown in). What really burns me up is the non-collectors who buy this stuff thinking they are getting a good deal will later find out they have been scammed, and then assume all collectors/dealers are crooks.

Where I have some disagreement with WKF is ANACS. I don't see them as on a par with PCGS or NGC, but they do a reasonably decent job (I would say the same about ICG). They are much better than either NGC or PCGS at recognizing and documenting varieties. I have bought and crossed over several recent ANACS coins with varieties, and either got the same grade or one grade lower each time (and paid less than FMV each time).

Like many of you here, I'm a collector of coins and not labels. Though in my pursuits, there aren't all of the label options that come into play for US collectors. But I'd like to chime in on the discussion about TPGs as it pertains to what I collect. For me, it's NGC ONLY. No PCGS, no ANACS unless it's a potential undergrade. PCGS in particular is the one I avoid. World War II era zinc coins are a huge part of what I do, and PCGS does a terrible job with these. I've seen full graded MS coins in PCGS holders that have deep pits of white zinc rust on them, clearly apparent even from an Ebay photo. These coins would detail grade here at NGC.....as they should. And that's only one example. I remember a collector on here a while ago having an absolute nightmare trying to cross PCGS graded early Canadian prooflike coins here at NGC. That poor person lost many grade points and a lot of money. For us World folks, PCGS should be avoided at all costs unless you really know the series that the coin in question comes from and you can evaluate for yourself if the grade is anything approaching correct. I've passed on a couple very rare German coins that were PCGS graded because the dealer wouldn't agree to take a return on the coins if they didn't cross to NGC as what PCGS attributed them as. I wasn't even worried about the grade number, just proper attribution of the coins being matte proofs and not really good business strikes. I think for you US folks, it's not the same issue. My girlfriend collects US and has a couple of PCGS coins which seem fine and graded correctly. But she definitely prefers NGC as well.

Hi Rick,

It is I that's collecting the multi coin Proof holders 1954-64 exclusively. 64 is about as modern a coin as I will now put in my collection but I do like this era from my childhood.

Also, fyi, I am not seeing much if any premium for these holders.

As to the label's color, unless it involves Johnnie and its Black it means little to me.

Cheers !

Rich

144976.jpg.628345a4c13f95f121d0c6b5752ea7f6.jpg

I also collect the modern comms and I don't understand the slight premium for the ER lables. I can never get a logical explanation for the higher price. (shrug)

I do have a different lables in my collection, but it is just to satisfy my interest in having some examples of labels availbale from NGC.

Jeffrey

I have ZERO complaints about ANACS. I think they do a fine job and they have many years experience grading and being the oldest. But, I feel they need to upgrade their online experience. We are in 2014 now. If you want to be respected, a good online data base, like NGC offers, gives collectors so much more to their numismatic experience.

@CSJournals - Eagles-R-it

I too collect SAEs and Modern Commemoratives. My collection is in multiple labels, both PCGS and NGC, as well as ungraded. The NGC brown label should appear later in the year, after all the early submission NGC ER blue labels are graded and sold off.