• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strong Bids on Toned Peace $ in Legend Sale...

107 posts in this topic

The high bids are almost certainly due to the obverse color and have, at most, very little to do with CAC.

Do you really think that coin with that reverse would be getting bids at that price if it wasnt CAC'd ? The obverse isnt earth shattering in regards to color from the photos posted.

IMO, about 90% for the premium is paid for the color. Wildly toned coins have been bring huge dough as long as I can remember and that was well before CAC.

jom

People can spend their money on whatever they want, but to my eye whatever "plus" the obverse toning adds, the train-wreck of a reverse negates it. I mean, it's not bad if the coin were one sided. lol

The problem with the Internet is that it allows anyone a forum with which to spout off -- even if it's wrong or unrelated.

This thread illustrates who the real tools are, IMO.

This place, many years ago, used to be filled with folks who preferred gentlemanly discourse about numismatics (as fresh change of pace, IMO, from ATS). Now it is filled with obnoxious biting comments at every turn.

Geez.

EVP

The high bids are almost certainly due to the obverse color and have, at most, very little to do with CAC.

Do you really think that coin with that reverse would be getting bids at that price if it wasnt CAC'd ? The obverse isnt earth shattering in regards to color from the photos posted.

IMO, about 90% for the premium is paid for the color. Wildly toned coins have been bring huge dough as long as I can remember and that was well before CAC.

jom

People can spend their money on whatever they want, but to my eye whatever "plus" the obverse toning adds, the train-wreck of a reverse negates it. I mean, it's not bad if the coin were one sided. lol

Just because you don't like the toning doesn't mean that the bidding level is due to PCGS, kool-aid or CAC. It could still be due to toning (that you personally do not appreciate).

EVP

jom

Just because you don't like the toning doesn't mean that the bidding level is due to PCGS, kool-aid or CAC. It could still be due to toning (that you personally do not appreciate).

EVP

And, how many times in a post would I have to state that it was my opinion that it wasn't anything special for you to realize that I'm only stating my opinion? I even started my comment with "People can spend their money on whatever they want"...I fail to see how I didn't make that clear. hm

jom

EVP

And, how many times in a post would I have to state that it was my opinion that it wasn't anything special for you to realize that I'm only stating my opinion? I even started my comment with "People can spend their money on whatever they want"...I fail to see how I didn't make that clear. hm

Your first post in this thread is about PCGS, kool-aid and CAC.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

PCGS-CAC-Rainbow-Trifecta_Kool-aid_plate_zpsfe1e0b0d.jpg

Remember this post?

Hmmmmmmmmm...

Yeah, it's called a joke. Why does everyone get their britches in a bunch over nothing so much lately. Maybe it's the snow that is making everyone touchy. I guess I'm just used to it living in Minnesota. (shrug)

Yeah, it's called a joke. Why does everyone get their britches in a bunch over nothing so much lately. Maybe it's the snow that is making everyone touchy. I guess I'm just used to it living in Minnesota. (shrug)

It's off-topic, not funny (to me) and, as such, you shouldn't blame others for mistaking your joke as a political message. Or, maybe it was a "joke" in the same vein as that other guy whose handle is PhysicsFan-something-or-other.

EVP

jom

EVP

Your first post in this thread is about PCGS, kool-aid and CAC.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

I just wanted to truncate this before it got out of hand. It's hard to read and it takes up too much space if you have all the gaps.

It's off-topic, not funny (to me) and, as such, you shouldn't blame others for mistaking your joke as a political message. Or, maybe it was a "joke" in the same vein as that other guy whose handle is PhysicsFan-something-or-other.

EVP

Yes, and your posts to this thread lambasting and belittling other posters because their post replies are not up to your "level" is also off-topic. I posted a picture that I thought was relevant (even if in jest), and if people care to interpret it as a political message or to be offended that is their prerogative. If everyone on the forum is to act as a ho-hum clone it doesn't make for very interesting discussion. Lighten up a little.

Remember this post?

Hmmmmmmmmm...

Berandun - Nah, et taint de snoh, dems folks don wanna deescuss ayneetaing atall dat gohs agin dee state-us cuo. hu b u dat seys dem der CAC bainers and dem der kul eihd pee cee gee ess drainkerz taint porphact? Y'allz jest eh domb az buba fer tankin dat aind dey telz yeh soh. Dems bailaivers deys r (tsk)

Best, HT

Or, maybe it was a "joke" in the same vein as that other guy whose handle is PhysicsFan-something-or-other.

That something-or-other is just pi. It probably just means he bakes a good pi.

Or, maybe it was a "joke" in the same vein as that other guy whose handle is PhysicsFan-something-or-other.

Pi only becomes significant after the thousands place, so maybe the period is a typo and its really John 3:14

Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up

The reference to science with the contrast of religion, being the essence of his own duality.

Pi only becomes significant after the thousands place, so maybe the period is a typo and its really John 3:14

Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up

The reference to science with the contrast of religion, being the essence of his own duality.

And all this time I just assumed he's a baker.

When buying a coin it's always worth taking a moment to reflect on what it would be worth raw hm

Yes, this was my thought exactly. The coin is so-so at best for a toner (even given the "rarity" of Peace toners). To me, the reverse is just a dog and kills it. For what it's worth, it sold for 41x PCGS guide, and I found it interesting that Legend used the TrueView images as their auction images (see below). hm Knowing that certainly affects my opinion of what it may look like in hand.

Raw, in a dealer's case I was thinking $400-600...maybe $1000 -- not $3,000. Again, just my opinion but that kind of premium calls into question some other mitigating factor beyond "pretty toning" on one side. But, to each his/her own. (shrug)

25351467_large.jpg

Remember this post?

Hmmmmmmmmm...

Berandun - Nah, et taint de snoh, dems folks don wanna deescuss ayneetaing atall dat gohs agin dee state-us cuo. hu b u dat seys dem der CAC bainers and dem der kul eihd pee cee gee ess drainkerz taint porphact? Y'allz jest eh domb az buba fer tankin dat aind dey telz yeh soh. Dems bailaivers deys r (tsk)

Next time that someone takes a swipe at people on the PCGS boards, and how civilized all here are, I hope someone else points out this thread and the replies I have quoted above as examples that not everyone here is smart, funny, or nice.

If a "joke" isn't found funny by a good number of people, it likely wasn't a good joke to start with and one should accept that. I found it in poor taste when it was first posted and saw it as bringing NOTHING to the conversation worth any value.

As for the smart@$$ replies like the one immediately quoted above....again....next time someone wants to dog on people's posts at PCGS, that post should be quoted to show what some around here are like as well......

Best, HT

When buying a coin it's always worth taking a moment to reflect on what it would be worth raw hm

Yes, this was my thought exactly. The coin is so-so at best for a toner (even given the "rarity" of Peace toners). To me, the reverse is just a dog and kills it. For what it's worth, it sold for 41x PCGS guide, and I found it interesting that Legend used the TrueView images as their auction images (see below). hm Knowing that certainly affects my opinion of what it may look like in hand.

Raw, in a dealer's case I was thinking $400-600...maybe $1000 -- not $3,000. Again, just my opinion but that kind of premium calls into question some other mitigating factor beyond "pretty toning" on one side. But, to each his/her own. (shrug)

I wouldn't touch this for $400 raw... Heck at that price even in a PCGS/CAC'd holder for a non Gem common 1922 toned Philly I'd pass.

Better then raw what would this coin be worth in a ICG MS64 holder hm

I wouldn't touch this for $400 raw... Heck at that price even in a PCGS/CAC'd holder for a non Gem common 1922 toned Philly I'd pass. Better then raw what would this coin be worth in a ICG MS64 holder hm

I also would not touch it for $400. But, I was thinking a few might. Again, I agree with you. I don't think I'd even take the coin in question for the PCGS price guide value of $75.

I wouldn't touch this for $400 raw... Heck at that price even in a PCGS/CAC'd holder for a non Gem common 1922 toned Philly I'd pass. Better then raw what would this coin be worth in a ICG MS64 holder hm

I also would not touch it for $400. But, I was thinking a few might. Again, I agree with you. I don't think I'd even take the coin in question for the PCGS price guide value of $75.

Well hopefully for the winning bidder its at least somewhat close to the tru-view image color wise in hand hm

As based on the slab shot it could be a major expensive dose of disappointment.

102265_slab.jpg

The problem with the Internet is that it allows anyone a forum with which to spout off -- even if it's wrong or unrelated.

This place, many years ago, used to be filled with folks who preferred gentlemanly discourse about numismatics (as fresh change of pace, IMO, from ATS). Now it is filled with obnoxious biting comments at every turn.

Geez.

EVP

Geez, take your meds and stop acting like a old fool. Your ATS sentiments are very evident. "This place", the NGC Forums, has many areas of discussion and comments regarding numismatic topics and associated areas of interest. Your summary dismissal of all threads and postings is false and not well delineated.

In other words, if a post upsets you, address the post. Don't be lazy and make a sweeping comment based on a single post/thread that you have a difference of opinion with.

So, exactly what are your issues with the posts in this thread? Be specific and try not to generalize.

Tool http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tool

Carl

+1 This should be a $1000 coin at most based on what others has sold for recently on Ebay. More likely $500-$750.

Speaking of a raw coin that is equivalent....

Here's a 1923 with similar colors, a better reverse and is probably a 64 that is for sale on Ebay...

Here's an easy $2000 profit. Get it in a PCGS slab, get a CAC sticker on it and get it into a Legend Murphy auction...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301080362479?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Anyone willing to give it a shot ?

+1 This should be a $1000 coin at most based on what others has sold for recently on Ebay. More likely $500-$750.

Speaking of a raw coin that is equivalent....

Here's a 1923 with similar colors, a better reverse and is probably a 64 that is for sale on Ebay...

Here's an easy $2000 profit. Get it in a PCGS slab, get a CAC sticker on it and get it into a Legend Murphy auction...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301080362479?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Anyone willing to give it a shot ?

Since that seller has slabbed coins as well, and prices them high, I think either the seller has already given it a shot, maybe a few times, and couldn't get it in a holder, or else it is even worse than a crapshoot......

Methinks there is a reason that some of his coins are raw when they would be worth a pretty penny if they were slabbed...and he knows it. In the case above, he even states that he believes it to be NT....that lends me to believe that he has attempted getting it slabbed and was unsuccessful in a problem free holder....

I agree with Bochiman. If a dealer is selling slabbed coins along side his raw coins, especially one at that price level, then it's already been through the cycle... or cycles as it may be. Just take a look at one of the more popular ebay sellers.... GSC. They sell both raw and slabbed... if it were worth slabbing... don't you think they already tried? One thing, I don't like the spots on that one. Makes it look totally AT to me.

Geez.

EVP

This is rather strong in prose. All Brandon said was the reverse is a mess, which it is. This is just an opinion, no need to accuse someone of spouting off, everyone here does not have to agree that every coin posted is a stunner.

So let's say you buy it. You then take it to a coin show/club proudly to show your new acquisition. Of course, the first thing you show is the ooh, aaaaah, obverse. Then your friend says 'can I have a look?' You hand it over, he/she inspects the obverse with more 'gosh' 'wow', etc. Then he/she flips it over. 'Oh.... You paid what for that?'

Bottom line is, yes the obverse is pretty, but I see many of these listed on dealer sites and ebay every day. Why spend so much on this when there is such a large dichotomy between the O and R?

Best, HT

EVP

Er, ah, why get so upset about some silly posts on online boards for heavens sake? To me, this is off topic, not the ironic illustrations of Brandon. Other folks here laughed at it. (shrug)

Best, HT

Remember this post?

Hmmmmmmmmm...

Best, HT

Next time that someone takes a swipe at people on the PCGS boards, and how civilized all here are, I hope someone else points out this thread and the replies I have quoted above as examples that not everyone here is smart, funny, or nice.

If a "joke" isn't found funny by a good number of people, it likely wasn't a good joke to start with and one should accept that. I found it in poor taste when it was first posted and saw it as bringing NOTHING to the conversation worth any value.

As for the smart@$$ replies like the one immediately quoted above....again....next time someone wants to dog on people's posts at PCGS, that post should be quoted to show what some around here are like as well......

In red, I never wrote that.

Best, HT

EvilAgedBowler is one of those guys that seems to feel a sense of additional self worth by creating some kind of social caste system between the 2 forums. Despite that fact that everyone here is also there. Not like that 13 years NEW forum software they are celebrating over there the past couple of days has any real banning protocols that would ever stick in today's internet. Only tradeoff is showing different newps here and there. My guess is their only real existence here is in case any of us banned members slip up and give away our cross forum identity hashes so they can jump all over it and claim their Don Willis imposed bounties.

Personally, when I saw that Photoshopped mockup I chuckled. It's a dig, sure but not something seasoned members ATS haven't heard/seen before.

These kind of differences help to define the the two neighborhoods. It's very short sighted to conclude one better than the other over something intended to be funny.

Eat a Snickers.