• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CWT newps

6 posts in this topic

Here are a couple of CWT newps I recently picked up:

This token has great violet and blue toning and superb luster which are not fully evident in the pictures. Although it's advertising goods and services, because a specific merchant and town are not mentioned, Fuld classifies this as a patriotic rather than a store card. I've heard some collectors refer to these hybrids as "half cards."

image_zps19723647.jpgimage_zps59e198d8.jpg

This storecard is a great peice featuring a reverse of General Burnside. He formed and led the1st Rhode Island Volunteer Infantry. It has considerable original mint red remaining.

ef1c62b2-3eec-4f27-8507-d6ca15127a55_zps5416b5d1.jpg0764190d-c136-4871-93ce-1123326a648a_zpse5f1b25f.jpg

BKW, both lovely tokens. Do you know what the significance of the thistle is on the first piece? I'm used to seeing the thistle to represent Scotland in the United Kingdom, but I'm not familiar with the symbolism here. (thumbs u

-Brandon

BKW, both lovely tokens. Do you know what the significance of the thistle is on the first piece? I'm used to seeing the thistle to represent Scotland in the United Kingdom, but I'm not familiar with the symbolism here. (thumbs u

-Brandon

Thanks Brandon. I'm not sure there is any independent significance. I think the thistle design was adopted from British/Scottish orginals much like the "Am I Not A Man and A Brother" obverse was borrowed from UK tokens for use in America's own anti-slavery efforts. Maybe the designer was of Scottish decent and wanted to show Scottish-American support for the Union (this is just a guess on my part though). Perhaps someone with more knowledge can enlighten both of us :)