• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1964 Proof Jefferson

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I'm new to these message boards and fairly new to coin collecting. I have a question for anyone who might be of help. I found in some of my coins that I have aquired a 1964 Proof Jefferson Nickel. My question is: to me is appears to be blue in color, is this normal and if not would it be worth my while sending it in for grading? Thank you in advance!

Hi,

First, welcome to the message boards here, be sure to seek advice from our members here, they can really be helpful in advice for new collectors. As far as your '64 Jefferson nickel proof, the proof sets especially from 1960-1964 seemed to tone the nickels a light blue or purple color often. It would be your decision whether to send it in or not, maybe posting a pic for the members in the U.S. coin forum could help also. If the coin is really colorful or high grade, or if you want the protection our holder provides, these could be reasons for you to have the coin graded. I would suggest you find a local NGC authorized dealer who could also evaluate your coin for you, and/or submit it for grading. If you are interested in finding an NGC authorized dealer, you can follow the link here http://www.ngccoin.com/services/submitting.asp

Thanks,

Andrew Vickery

NGC Grader

It sounds like a neat coin and one that won't break the bank either. I don't think it's a rare find for this era of coinage unless the reverse is significantly rotated, but I am not up-to-date on what these are worth.