• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1904 Medal with St. Gaudens features?

7 posts in this topic

I'm new here and have recently decided to get back into the world of coin collecting after over 30 years of, well, doing other things. I was sitting at the bar a few months ago thinking about the money that I drop there every week and decided that I should do something more constructive. So, here I am.

Here is one of my first purchases. It's no coin, but I couldn't resist it. So, I was browsing the internet and I came across a silver medal issued in 1904 that, to me, has a striking resemblence to the St. Gaudens $20. So, I purchased it. What does anybody think?

FLIKR PHOTO

I can't tell too much from your photo, but it is apparently French since the Eiffel Tower is part of the design. 1904 was the year of the World's Fair in St. Louis, so it may have some tie to that. Do you have a photo of the flip side? Can you find a designer's name on it? Are there any markings on the edge?

Chris