• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Almost complete is not quite the same as complete posted by Dsrtknght

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Buying my first $4K coin! I never would have considered spending $4K for a single stock or option but I am quickly reaching the point where the cost of one single coin will mean the difference between a complete set or one missing a single coin.

Well, through hook or crook, I have managed to obtain all but 8 American Silver Eagles (MS and PF). I can see the finish line in sight and it will only be a matter of time (and money) to add the final coins. It has been great to perform the research on the coins, buy some for my retirement account and add the better coins to my collection. But I fear that the 1995-W Proof is going to be the most expensive in my collection. Having never spent more than $1200 for a coin, I'm wondering what it will be like for me to consider spending, then actually agreeing to trade or buy a coin for nearly $4K. I suspect that is why I am putting this coin in the proper order of purchase (last) to add the extra emphasis of completing my set. Yes, every year there will be a new set of Silver Eagles and every year I'll get an opportunity to add but the mere fact that one coin is worth 50% of my current set is a bit overwhelming.

But once the set is complete, it will only be the beginning. From that point forward, it will mean that I am upgrading my set to MS70 and PF70 coins, making the $4K for the 1995 W Proof seem like chump change.

Back to the safe to secure everything before returning back to the real world of bills and income.

See more journals by Dsrtknght

Dsrtknght,

Like all the other Silver Eagle fans here the 1995-W is always the LAST and may even be the (NEVER GOT) coin for their sets. There are plenty of sets listed that are complete except for the GRAIL to the set.

You are not alone!! :grin:

Hello,

Though I do not collect silver eagles, I know that I have at least 1 set that I will never complete. One of my top priority pursuits are German Reichskreditkassen coins from 1940 and 1941. That set is pretty much impossible to truly complete as there is one issue, the 1941 Stuttgart Mint coin, that there are currently only 2 known survivors of. Now, as someone who is currently completing their Master's Degree in order to be a college professor, I'll likely not have the funds to purchase one of those, even if it did come up for sale in my lifetime. But a set that is as complete as you can reasonably make it is still a great accomplishment, and something to be proud of!

I should amend that.....the 1941 Stuttgart Mint 10 Reichspfennig. The 1941 Stuttgart 5 Reichspfennig can be purchased if you happen to have a spare $15,000 laying around :)