• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof That A Really Bad Hair Day Can Still Turn Out To Be Pretty Good...

25 posts in this topic

These are some of the nicest looking coins the US has ever made. I don't know why but this is one issue I like best bright white.

This one lacks the "pop" needed to please me but it's a great coin never the less.

Not a coin for me - I would rather buy an example struck just a tiny bit less without the full head premium.

Well then this coin would be for you.... As it's struck considerably less and should not have a FH premium nor designation doh!

Yep....FH doesn't really mean FH....

You might be right as FH these days could just mean there a blob of meat above the neck hm

But....but...there's an ear hole. ;):devil:

But....but...there's an ear hole. ;):devil:

Oh yeah no ear hole or even close to a complete hair line on this one to justify FH doh!

wkhbib.jpg

Not to mention that huge scratch on the eagle's wing? :o

I'd buy that for AU58 non-FH money. :)

The 30-P is so common that I wouldn't buy this example at any price level since it's not smart to tie up good money in a bad coin. This specimen even in a non FH holder will have everyone frowning upon the reverse issue when it comes time to sell.

The 30-P is so common that I wouldn't buy this example at any price level since it's not smart to tie up good money in a bad coin. This specimen even in a non FH holder will have everyone frowning upon the reverse issue when it comes time to sell.

I was mostly kidding. I'd probably take the coin if it were given to me for free though. :) Just because I like the design, and my nephew would like it. :P

I was mostly kidding. I'd probably take the coin if it were given to me for free though. :) Just because I like the design, and my nephew would like it. :P

For free:takeit: too! :P

FH is the most ridiculous, arbitrary, inconsistent, and unwarranted designation on any coin series. I love a good strike, but FH seems to be pointless - it tells you absolutely nothing, and seems to be random which coins get it or don't.

NGC MS 66 Fh star. I am not sure why it got the star however the luster is off the charts.

The head is sharp and fully struck you can see the separation.

144764.jpg.f39b8f3c15bb65dad1edd6ab52262f74.jpg

The 1918 S is hard to find with a real full head , the services can be somewhat liberal with the FH designation for this date and mint. For series II coins they take into consideration the date and mint when determining if a coin should get a FH. Based on that statement your 18 – S would not look to have the FH designation when compared to others dates .

The 1918 S is hard to find with a real full head , the services can be somewhat liberal with the FH designation for this date and mint. For series II coins they take into consideration the date and mint when determining if a coin should get a FH. Based on that statement your 18 – S would not look to have the FH designation when compared to others dates .

That is wrong. Reminds me of an AU Morgan dollar I once saw of a date that is very difficult to find in true Mint State. The seller had self-labeled it "Uncirculated for the date." That did not make it Uncirculated.

That is wrong. Reminds me of an AU Morgan dollar I once saw of a date that is very difficult to find in true Mint State. The seller had self-labeled it "Uncirculated for the date." That did not make it Uncirculated.

I don’t understand your comment “That is wrong” are you saying I am wrong or that the grading services are wrong for how the designate FH year to year.

FH is the most ridiculous, arbitrary, inconsistent, and unwarranted designation on any coin series. I love a good strike, but FH seems to be pointless - it tells you absolutely nothing, and seems to be random which coins get it or don't.

Not the most necessarily... IMO all of the strike designations are " ridiculous, arbitrary, inconsistent, and unwarranted". But...whatever.

The OP coin, based on the photo, is just ugly to me (no offense intended). I really couldn't care less if it's FH or not.

jom

Yes, the first statement is totally wrong. If a Standing Liberty quarter date and mint mark combination is rare with the "Full Head," then you don't call the "almost Full Head" coins "Full Head" because of that. The "Full Head" coins rare and there are not very many of them. That makes them expensive if collectors really want them. End of subject. It does not mean you create more using bogus standards so that your dealer customers will have more of them to sell.

Some might label this is a ridiculous comparison, but it is analogous to the same concept. The finest known 1793 Strawberry Leaf cent grades VG-07 according to EAC standards. The commercial grade as been as high as Fine-12. At any rate you can't suddenly call the finest known example Mint State because it's rare and no finer examples are known. It's still a VG and that's it.

Yes, the first statement is totally wrong. If a Standing Liberty quarter date and mint mark combination is rare with the "Full Head," then you don't call the "almost Full Head" coins "Full Head" because of that. The "Full Head" coins rare and there are not very many of them. That makes them expensive if collectors really want them. End of subject. It does not mean you create more using bogus standards so that your dealer customers will have more of them to sell.

Some might label this is a ridiculous comparison, but it is analogous to the same concept. The finest known 1793 Strawberry Leaf cent grades VG-07 according to EAC standards. The commercial grade as been as high as Fine-12. At any rate you can't suddenly call the finest known example Mint State because it's rare and no finer examples are known. It's still a VG and that's it.

I don’t think my statement is wrong – look at the 1918-s coin with a FH designation and compare them to other type II dates with a FH designation. Most of the 18-S I have seen barely have a true FH – they probably barley have the absolute bare minimum for a FH designation. Look at my 1930 , do you think it would have a FH designation if it looked like the 1918 S in this post ?? I doubt it very much.

I think you did totally misunderstood my post.

Mark Feld you were a grader please chime in on this .