• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why are some folks inclined on not counting the top step?

8 posts in this topic

Won a coin on ebay recently and when I did, I still wasn't convince the seller and I were in agreement on whether or not the coin had full steps.

In one of his replies he wrote;

The 1st four steps are complete, but not the 5th in the middle. I do not count the step as the entrance to Monticello.

Now at the time, I assumed the latter part of his response meant that he doesn't count the entrance to the Monticello as a step, at all!

So like, with 18 min. left in the auction, I'm getting an email together with a couple of pictures of steps and an understandable crash course explaination on how to count steps frustrated.gif to send off to the seller.

His next response was;

The coin looks very close to your picture # 1.

Now folks, this message can mean a whole lot of different things when you're in a hurry....while the auction time is running out on a coin that may just be what the doctor ordered, so to speak.

But with less than 7 min. left and with no bids and realizing that there's the possibility that someone may end up bidding on this thing in the last minute anyway, I send off another email with two other pictures but this time they are diagrams of steps.

So as time is winding down with less than 2 min. to go, as I'm waiting for a response, someone does place a bid on the coin and it's no other than Ray O.

himself.

grin.gif

Now I know Ray has probably been asking this guy the same questions and so now, it's panic time! Christo_pull_hair.gif

Do I snipe the auction knowing it's my good ole buddy Ray? And that he may already have a better understanding on the steps from this seller than I do? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

headbang.gif You damm right! Dive, dive, dive as the submate will usually say when under attack!

And so I win and get another response from the seller that says;

I was one of the first members of the full step Jefferson Nickel club right after Adolf and the 2 Sisti's. I sent this coin to ANACS thinking that they would give it 5 steps, but they did not??????.........I still do not use the six step version as the "top" step is a given, but I do understand the current system..

And I sent him this response;

Thank God! I can't tell you how difficult it is to explain the step count to folks that really don't have a clue! 27_laughing.gif

I was really relieved that this guy had an undrstanding about full steps but was also puzzled as to why he didn't say so from the beginning.

But the seller sounds like a great guy and I'm glad I won the coin. I can't wait to see it as it was the strike and condition of the coin that convinced me to bid. But it's always nice to know where the steps stand on a coin. wink.gif

And remember, I'm one of those collectors who works from the strike forward while most FS collectors work from the steps back! 27_laughing.gif

Leo

Ok!! It's only because I have a soft spot for showing my coins!! poke2.gif

Here it is!!! Nice coin...no? 27_laughing.gif

No. insane.gif

27_laughing.gif

Can't tell much from the picture, not even the date (though it looks like a 39)... just give us a good description.

Hoot

Ok!! It's only because I have a soft spot for showing my coins!! poke2.gif

Here it is!!! Nice coin...no? 27_laughing.gif

No. insane.gif

27_laughing.gif

Can't tell much from the picture, not even the date (though it looks like a 39)... just give us a good description.

Hoot

I really don't have the coin yet. But from the auction pictures, the strike and condition looks grate but it was hairy trying get on the same plane with the seller about the steps.

Leo

For now by the way, it's a 1919 nickel!

For now by the way, it's a 1919 nickel!

WOW! Leo, you hit the jackpot! The only known 1919 Jeff! 893whatthe.gif

WOW! Now all you need to find is a buff dated 1939-2004. wink.gif

Congrats on your great find! hail.gifinsane.gif

John