• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Take a guess 1883-O Morgan -=Revealed=-

9 posts in this topic

I will throw this one in the mix too.

This particular Morgan has some intense mirrors on both the obverse as well as the reverse, both being about even in reflection.

1883_O_Morgan_Obverse_Close.jpg

1883_O_Morgan_Reverse_Close.jpg

1883_O_Morgan_DMPL_Raw.jpg

I think the last picture shows the mirrors very well on the obverse and the reverse, as I mentioned earlier, is comparable.

I am more interested in opinions regarding the technical grade and any would be appreciated.

Nice looking coin Bill. The mirrors show very well in your second set of pictures.

I'll venture a MS63 PL.

There's some dings on the cheek I can't quite decipher from the pictures. I think it could go 64, but based on the first set of pictures, I think a 63. I think the reverse will hold this one to a PL.

I will throw in a couple more photos that show the mirrors a bit better.

Obverse_Reflection.JPG

Reverse_Reflection.JPG

Not that those will alter perceptions but I do believe that it shows the mirrors on the reverse a bit better like that.

Yes, the new pictures certainly change my opinion of the coin.

I'll go MS63 DPL. And that's my final offer!!! lol.

OK Joe. :)

Wish it would have. This fell short of what I believe should be on the label also. Kurt I was hoping for a 64 but was not surprised in the 63. The PL instead of DPL did surprise me. I figured worse case scenario I would bottomed out at 63 DPL.

1883_O_Morgan_MS63_PL_NGC.jpg

Thanks boyle.

I will probably get this coin back in hand and then realize why they graded it what they did. More than likely I just overlooked something or added that unrealistic ownership bump. ;)

My first guess was correct. Hmm, go with the gut.

Anyway, I have quite a few Morgan DPL's. I bought them all graded. It's hard to judge the reflective mirrors through the slab vs. the grading standards. This one looked like it had a chance to me after you posted the 2nd set of pictures.

Who photographed the coin? It's well done. I also thought your photos showing the mirrors were cool. Those looked like they took some time to get the right shot.

Nice Morgan Bill. I'm sure you'll have no problem selling it, if that's your course of action.