• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone for Egyptian coinage?

20 posts in this topic

I was left a hoard of mostly well-circulated coins from Egypt and East Africa (with a smattering of other stuff) this year. I posted once on an East African piece that was quite loverly.

Here's the best of quite a number of Egyptian pieces. It's a 5 Milliemes (denomination), and I have no idea what that face was in U.S. but the coin is copper-nickel smile.gif, and about the size of a nickel smile.gif.

I believe the O on the reverse is a 5 (Arabic) for the denomination. The piece is from 1933 (the Julian date is on the reverse, left of the denomination), which is 1352 of the Muslim calendar (right of the denomination), and the Mint mark is H for Birmingham, England. I do not know whom the king is depicted on the obverse, but he has a great moosh. Krause lists the coin as KM-346. The coin grades MS63 with NGC. As for all the squiggly lines, writing, whatever, I'm lost. Nevertheless, I like it. laugh.gif

636808-1933-HEgypt5MilliemesKM-346MS63NGCobv04-820.jpg

636810-1933-HEgypt5MilliemesKM-346MS63NGCrev04-820.jpg

Hoot

636808-1933-HEgypt5MilliemesKM-346MS63NGCobv04-820.jpg.02f7dcff06afc1811c21923e203b1632.jpg

Egypt 5 milliemes, King Fuad 1(installed after british rule from 1882-1922), 1933H, AH1352, MS63= $35.00 cat value. The squigly lines are Arabic with translation "PCGS sucks". blush.gif ..............Well, maybe not. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

BTW, nice color.

TRUTH

Nice looking piece!

There are 10 milliemes in a piastre, or qirsh, and 100 piastres in one Egyptian Pound. There were 3 million minted that year of that type made 1929-35 (KM-346).

That's a pretty nice looking coin, Hoot. I don't see a lot of the Egyptian coins with a portrait on one side and the squiggles on the other that come attractive.

I have a fondess for Ottoman coinage which was commonly struck in Egypt. Addditionally, some of the United Arabic Republic (the short lived union with Syria) is also sharply designed with a tough looking eagle.

I'll take photos of a few tonight.

-JamminJ

And here are the promised pictures of some of my Egyptian coins:

637274-AH1293-29EgyptFortiethqNGC64RBbig.jpg

637276-AH1293-13EgyptHalfqNGC64big.jpg

637277-1960Egypt5mNGC67big.jpg

I know you were all waiting breathlessly for the photos! wink.gif

-JamminJ

Those are fantastic JJ! Truly superb pieces. The bird (I presume an Egyptian vulture) on the last coin looks like it's on fire! Neat coins, one and all.

Where did you pick those up?

Thanks, Hoot

Thanks!

The one with the burning bird was purchased at a local coin shop.

The other two are from Karl Stephens, bought the September Long Beach show.

I started picking up coins like this while working on my World War I collection. The Ottoman coins just seemed much tougher than any other country to find in nice shape despite fairly low catalog values. Because of this, when a nice coin from Ottoman Turkey or Egypt comes comes along at a fair price I grab it.

-JamminJ

I have a few nice Egyptian coins myself. If I get some time, I'll post a few images of mine also.

Cool, looking forward to seeing them.

You probably don't need to rush - this thread will be on the first page for another 4 months. shy.gif

-JamminJ

What is the metal composition of those coins? Brass?

The brightly toned one is aluminum-bronze which looks just like brass. The other two are bronze and copper-nickel.

-JamminJ

Thanks. But for me it's hard to get excited about any coin not made of silver at least.

Cool, looking forward to seeing them.

You probably don't need to rush - this thread will be on the first page for another 4 months.

sign-funnypost.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Hopefully it won't take me that long to post them JJ.

John

The 1960 Egypt 5M is an awesome coin and has strong claims to being an MS68. I very well might win this coin from JamminJ when it hits eBay and give it a few shots at going MS68.

The 1960 Egypt 5M is an awesome coin and has strong claims to being an MS68. I very well might win this coin from JamminJ when it hits eBay and give it a few shots at going MS68.

893whatthe.gif

Must all good things be sold??? wink.gif I'd love a shot at such a coin just for its beauty. Alas, I hope that JamminJ will keep it for a long time to come.

Hey, where are your Egyptian pieces? yay.gif

Hoot

Must all good things be sold??? wink.gif

Yes. I am proud to say that I have helped turn JamminJ into a coin whore. He used to first look at a coin and wonder its history. Now he looks at it and wonders what NGC will grade it and how much he can make off it on eBay. cloud9.gif

I probably will sell this coin sometime in the future. While very, very nice it doesn't really fit with my collecting themes. I just grabbed it because it was such a screamer.

-JamminJ