• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I went 1/5 last night, but did win this very cool siege klippe

5 posts in this topic

I lost out on the four lots that I preferred over this, but this is no mean consolation prize... (If I hadn't already have such a successful January, I'd have bid much stronger on the previous four lots too.) This was the final lot of interest to me, so I was able to bid more to avoid total disappointment.

The two dealers who handled this piece prior to the seller last night are both long-time veterans who feel this is an UNC piece. And, the seller held this piece for many years (from his personal collection). So, regardless of what its true grade should be, I guess this piece is pretty darn nice.

Hope you enjoy this.

(Best of all, this klippe is NOT in an over-sized holder. :) )

27174489.jpg

I have literally no idea what I'm looking at here. Can you explain it to me?

[Many klippes were emergency issues, and are generally crudely made and uniface. The following excerpt is from a past CNG auction about this coin, but not this exact coin.]

During the War of the Spanish Succession (1701-1714), France fought against the forces of the Austrian Habsburgs to protect its claims on Spanish lands after the death of the Spanish king Charles II. Several nations, including England and the United Netherlands, joined Austria against the powerful French forces. Landau, a fortified town located in modern southwest Germany, was besieged by one of the most prominent figures of the war, Claude Louis Hector de Villars, Marshal General of France. Duke Carl Alexander of Württemburg defended the town, which fell to the French on 20 August 1713. Soon after, Villars himself negotiated the Treaty of Rastatt, ending hostilities between King Louis XIV of France and Holy Roman Emperor Charles VI of Austria. A series of klippes was produced by Landau during the French siege, likely cut from the silver plate of the town’s rich citizens.