• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panic engulfs our neighbors across the street..........

15 posts in this topic

something about coin dealers not buying back expensive or high grade moderns coins, even in PCGS slabs. makepoint.gif Could this be the begining of the end? Is the modern coin market set for a major correction? Could modern high grade coins be spending money next week? Yes, something needs to be done, someone needs to be blamed. I demand justice. sumo.gif

TRUTH

something about coin dealers not buying back expensive or high grade moderns coins, even in PCGS slabs. makepoint.gif Could this be the begining of the end? Is the modern coin market set for a major correction? Could modern high grade coins be spending money next week? Yes, something needs to be done, someone needs to be blamed. I demand justice. sumo.gif

TRUTH

Or perhaps they're headed BACK TO THE FUTURE!!! headbang.gif

Leo

You modern basher!!! mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif Moderns are just as collectible as classics and they will be forever! Classics were once moderns! {insert remaining repetitive arguments}.

Moderns crash? Never! Just because 99.9% of moderns have already silently crashed in price means nothing. What's a PF69 worth? $10 if there are several PF70s graded. I remember selling some for around 4 figures.

What's an MS67 State Quarter worth? Can you get your slabbing fees back? I wonder if those people who paid $250 for the common dates made a wise decision in buying them.

The non-top pop market was killed by a questionable relationship between a large dealer and a grading company. The top pop rest is just a circle jerk.

I'm by no means a market analayst, but in my opinion the modern dates (espically the state quarters) just became to overvalued to quick. Just a quick look at ebay auctions and MS 67 - 68 states are easily going for $20 - $30 a pop, if not much more. Now yes the mintages have been dropping off, but they are still somewhere around 200 million at the lowest years and mints thus far. So how for that same $20 - $30 price range can I go and pick up a MS 65 washington with a mintage of about 10 - 20 million (about 90% less)? Just tonite I picked up a MS65 - 49D with light toning for $21.50 (population of just over 10 million). I'm a smaller collector and don't use price sheets, just my good old red book. So let's see the coin I pick up for $21.50 books for $50, not to bad. Now how about a MS 65 State, books $1 - $3. How many MS 65 State Quaters do you see going for $1?

A market flucuation?

A price adjustment?

Panic? I don't think so, well unless your a dealer riding on sales of modern coins, it could be a nitemare for you. But if the prices do fall a bit and become more adjusted it could turn into a buyers paradise. But then again, buyers are paying these prices now, so what will stop them if the "value" drops? I just hope it doesn't rebound in the long run and cause the older dates to skyrocket in price.

Does this make sense, or did I waste 10 minutes writing this? confused-smiley-013.gif

Does this make sense, or did I waste 10 minutes writing this? confused-smiley-013.gif

No, but I did waste two minutes reading it.... grin.gif J/K, you made some excellent points.

I think that high grade modern slabbing process and the business involving their sales are more corrupt than the 5 families of New York. A select few dealers who have connections to PCGS always seem to get the ultra high grades of 69 and 70 in quantity. This is only my opinion of course. hi.gif

the_Thing, can you please go to a junior college and learn once and for all the difference between then and than? It's bugging me way beyond distraction. I know I know, I should just deal with it, but I've pointed this out to you so many times. You really, in my eyes, look like someone from, say, Amarillo, with your consisitent misuse of then/than. Can you, will you, please look into this? Thanks. Sorry for being off-topic.

tjennings, I do believe you are mistaken. If you would carefully read what I wrote, you will find I did infact use the correct wording. Where in the world did you find that awful website in your sigline? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think that high grade modern slabbing process and the business involving their sales are more corrupt than the 5 families of New York. A select few dealers who have connections to PCGS always seem to get the ultra high grades of 69 and 70 in quantity. This is only my opinion of course. hi.gif

Not only is it correct and highly accurate it is fairly inclusive. The biggest problem with it though is that is not as universal as it could be. It hardly seems enough to call the grading companies and modern dealers murderous thieves when it can also be pointed out that the collectors are lunatics always in search of the elusive greater fool. The coins are are actually base metal token made in the trillions and that eventually when the whole thing collapses the fabric of time and space itself will be destroyed. Usually a few good shots at the egos of registry collectors and the motives of those who allow this madness to continue are tossed in for good measure.

Don't worry too much about it. It's still quite good for a first try.

It was a much more "fun" post before the edit, too.

I have always felt that there was more than a casual relationship between PCGS and certain dealers, particularly for coins from famous collections. These collections seem to garner better grades than we small collectors. I believe that it is more widespead than just MS70 moderns.

If you like moderns I just do not understand why people can't just go and find a nice 66 or 67 example for a FRACTION of the cost. You get a coin that is better than the VAST majority of what's out there and pay a fraction of what the next "registry" grade costs. I just don't get it. It really does boggle the mind....

jom