• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lyman H. Low to SH & H Chapman

4 posts in this topic

"Buy the book before the coin" is the saying postulated to new collectors. I'm still a pup and have myself undertaken the formation of a numismatic library.

With a desire to learn more about Hard Times Tokens I started searching for a copy of Lyman H. Low's Hard Times Tokens.

I haven't found a copy to purchase yet, but I did find this:

The One Cent Postal Card shown here was marketed and sold "for the cancellation marks only" and the other side was not shown in photograph but made simple mention: LYMAN H LOW NY, NY

I didn't know what to expect but was very pleased upon its arrival.

Lyman H. Low's signature and notes on his advertising postal card and addressed to SH & H Chapman.

low__postcard001.jpg

low__postcard002.jpg

From Low's Obituary found in the March 1924 issue of the Numismatist his address to the 1908 Philadelphia Convention of the ANA is quoted verbatim:

Coins first attracted my attention in 1856. The fever continued possibly for a year, and then other subjects engrossed me , doubtless from lack of congenial companionship, for I knew but one collector, and it was he who inspired me. I had not then learned of a dealer, though Henry Cook of Boston—my native place—was engaged in the business, at that time. The summit of joy was reached, and my eldorado found at the toll-house on the Boston side of Chelsea Ferry, where I made weekly visits on Saturday afternoons, and looked over a box of odd pieces. It was custom of the tollman to accept anything having the semblance of a coin. If it proved to be something else than a piece of U.S. mintage, it was thrown into this box. But nothing of special importance was ever secured, for my knowledge was limited, and my pocketbook small. My recollections are that Connecticut Cents, Hard Times Tokens, and an occasional store card composed the bulk of my treasures. It seems worthy of comment that I never found a half cent in any of the claims I prospected. It is certain at that period none were in circulation in Massachusetts. When the Civil War came on, I took my collection to a State street broker and sold it for $5.00. I have never forgotten my first small accumulation.

During the Civil War more important matters demanded my time, and in the years which followed, until 1878, the subject was dormant. In that year, when a commercial traveler, I was sojourning in the West, on the Mississippi, just below St. Paul. Many foreign copper and silver coins were in circulation in that community, and I soon found myself making a collection of the various kinds I met with. By this means I became acquainted with three collectors in the town, and their hoards were sufficient to re-kindle the flame of 20 years previous. My ardor was thoroughly aroused, and the interest I took was intense! I dreamed and talked of coins incessantly: but I soon became rational, and launched into the subject in sober earnest. Almost immediately I began to sell as well as purchase. The captures, whether of pieces or of customers, were not large or important. In the fall of 1879, after returning to New York from one of my trips I passed the old store of Bangs & Co., on Broadway, opposite Astor Place, and read the bulletin at the door, "Coin Sale To-day." A few brisk steps took me up to the spacious rooms, where the coins of the late Theodore Riley were displayed on those long, flannel-covered tables, which some of you perhaps remember. I attended the sale that afternoon, and most of those that followed, whenever I was able to do so.

In 1883 I made dealing in coins my exclusive business, beginning at 838 Broadway. When I offered my collection, numbering some 15,000 pieces, to buyers, it was chiefly composed of copper coins. My career since that time is fairly recorded in the catalogues of my public sales, the first being that of the late Alexander Balmanno of Brooklyn. So much for my early reminiscences; of later days I need not enlarge in this company.

The first of Low's reference works on "Hard Times Tokens" begins in 1886 with a fixed-price catalogue entitled: Descriptive catalogue of Hard times tokens issued for and against to the financial troubles of 1834-41 : All of which circulated as money for many years thereafter : With prices affixed, at which they may be obtained from Lyman H. Low, 853, Broadway, New York.

Following this, and first appearing within a number of volumes of The American Journal of Numismatics, is the work entitled Hard Times Tokens. A separate edition was published in 1900 and a supplement followed in 1906.

Of important note is the Addressee - SH & H Chapman who is Samuel Hudson Chapman (1857-1931) and Henry Chapman (1859-1935) or The Chapman Brothers and most certainly a pair of influential Numismatists back in the day.

The most available edition of the Lyman Low's Hard Times token book is probably the Durst reprint which was published in 1984. There is more up to date information in Hard Times Tokens 1832 - 1844 by Russell Rulau. Make sure you get on of the later editions of the Rulau book. The first edition had its problems.

The knock on the Durst reprint of Low's book is that photographic section was not very good. Quarterman published the Edger Adams' plates of Low's Hard Times Tokens in 1980. It was a big deal at the time, but can now be purchased on the cheap when you can find from numismatic book seller. Here is photo of the cover the Durst reprint.

LowHardTimesCover_zpseb04f79a.jpg

Make sure you get on[e] of the later editions of the Rulau book. The first edition had its problems.

Bill,

Thanks for the heads up. I just bought a sixth edition of Hard Times Tokens 1832-1844 by Rulau. This one came out in 1996 and got it for 9 bucks +4 for shipping. There is a 9th from 2002 but is still pretty expensive. I'll keep an eye out for the Plate's vol. by Adams.

Regards,

Doug