• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Week # 49 - Hi everybody!

13 posts in this topic

• Administrator

The cents of 1794 have their edges lettered ONE HUNDRED FOR A DOLLAR. What does it mean when the letters H and D of HUNDRED are filled in with yellow ink?

First post that correctly answers wins a NGC coffee mug.

Don't forget, we also draw for a runner-up prize from all remaining posts with a correct answer.

Good Luck!

grin.gif

REMINDER: The Numisma-Quest ends/ended on Saturday at midnight EST. Entries after that time will not be valid. See the Trivia Info post for more details.

When you post your answer, only the administrators can see it. Stop back each Monday. We will make all the posts visible and announce the winners.

Homer Downing, a collector of note in the early to mid-20th century of large cents, "specialized in the cents of 1794 in the last years of his life. A few weeks prior to his death, he identified all the 1794s in his collection by carefully inking in the H and D of HUNDRED on the edge of each coin."

smile.gif Hoot

The question: The cents of 1794 have their edges letters HUNDRED FOR A DOLLAR What does it mean when the letters H and D of HUNDRED are filled in with yellow ink?

The answer is Such coins were once the property of renowned large cent collector Homer Downing .

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

The winner is Mhooten!

Your prize is a NGC mug.

Unfortunately there is no runner up winner.

Your prize will be sent out ASAP.

Thanks for your participation!

Thank you Danielle and NGC!!! Now I will have a matching pair of mugs to make hot cocoa in with my daughters! (They say that the NGC mug is the best because of how tall and big it is! The marshmallows fit perfectly! laugh.gif)

Question back to NGC: Do you pedegree the Homer Downing coins or ar they "damaged?"

Hoot

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Hoot,

Since the paint or ink is removable, these coins would not be rejected by NGC for grading. It would take more than these two letters inked in, however, for NGC to apply the Downing pedigree. We would require a reliable auction catalog attribution or an indisputable paper trail leading back to the sale of Downing's cents in 1952.

What? No numisma-quest trivia tonight? frown.gif This was the first night that I actually made it to this on time. I've even been staking it out for close to 6 hours, just waiting to pounce on the question. Oh well........... I hope you guys all had a wonderful Valentine's Day!