• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS New holders for softpacks

9 posts in this topic

Agree.

Kind of like GSA on the hard cases before anyway. I like the GSAs in the original holders. I am ok with something around them to grade them, but if I were to crack them out, I want them back the way they were when they were originally received from the government.

To do what the link shows is more about the money than anything

I'd be surprised if that came from a soft pack. As a rule the soft packs held those coins that were OBVIOUSLY worn. About the only exception were the Unc 78-CC's they put in them. A MS 85-O should have been in a hard pack.

And I would agree this doesn't impress me. No different than cracking out the GSA hard pack dollars and putting GSA on the holder. If it isn't in the OGP, it basically isn't a GSA dollar. If PCGS wants to package the soft packs they should follow NGC's lead.

What was weird but turned out wonderful, is that the sorters of the GSA hoard set aside what was then considered 'tarnished' into the 'circulated' stacks. As a result, you had many Mint State coins put into the lessor valued soft packs.

I guess you could say that PCGS is certifying that the Morgan inside the twin holder came from a authentic GSA soft pack.

I'd be surprised if that came from a soft pack. As a rule the soft packs held those coins that were OBVIOUSLY worn. About the only exception were the Unc 78-CC's they put in them. A MS 85-O should have been in a hard pack.

And I would agree this doesn't impress me. No different than cracking out the GSA hard pack dollars and putting GSA on the holder. If it isn't in the OGP, it basically isn't a GSA dollar. If PCGS wants to package the soft packs they should follow NGC's lead.

I see a hanful of NGC graded MS soft pack morgans on ebay right now. 79P, 80S, 85O, 03O, etc.