• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Post Office Regulation?

29 posts in this topic

I don't know if this is new policy but twice in the last week when shipping numismatic coins, the clerk receiving the parcel asked me what was inside? Last week I told the lady "a collectible"; she pried, I said it was none of her business, whereupon she tried to feel the parcel to discern what was inside. Especially with other customers around I didn't want to, and don't think I need to provide information on the exact contents as it should be clear that it is inert, inorganic and not a violation of any policy. Yesterday the same thing happened but another lady stopped when I answered "collectible". Then she had me sign and pay with my CC and with the electronic pen certify that the parcel was not perishable, hazardous. liquid, etc.. Is this new policy because heretofore I don't remember such impertinent questions being asked beyond the hazardous, liquid, perishable, question?

I'm not aware of any new regulations. I mailed a couple of coins this past week, one in a small flat rate priority box, and the second in a padded mailer. I was only asked if the contents were hazardous, liquid, a battery, etc. No questions in regards to what exactly was being shipped.

I would suggest asking your local Postmaster to clarify for you why the clerks are now asking for additional information.

Regards

John

From what I remember all they can ask is if the package contains any of the listed banned items (flammables, ammo, acids, etc.) and not the exact contents. I agree ... talk with the PO branch manager.

I used the usps internal email system on Monday and brought up a couple of issues, the guy who got back to me relatively quickly sidestepped the question of contents issue. The usps is more convenient and less expensive than the alternatives. In the future I will probably use FedEx for higher value parcels if possible, most companies have PO boxes for shipping to them, NGC, PCGS, CAC, many ebay customers, so using FedEx would require getting a physical address.

I would bring this up with your local post office manager/supervisor in person where this is happening. There is no reason a USPS clerk needs to know anything more than whether the contents are dangerous (as CyberspaceVoid mentioned). If they are prying any more than that, then it is a privacy and security concern.

Edited to add:

I would be very careful before you decide to go with FedEx. I have had numerous bad experiences with them, one time being told I needed to drive 80 miles one way to sign for a package because I wasn't home at 2pm in the afternoon to sign for it.

I used the usps internal email system on Monday and brought up a couple of issues, the guy who got back to me relatively quickly sidestepped the question of contents issue. The usps is more convenient and less expensive than the alternatives. In the future I will probably use FedEx for higher value parcels if possible, most companies have PO boxes for shipping to them, NGC, PCGS, CAC, many ebay customers, so using FedEx would require getting a physical address.

Also, HT, if you're using FedEx are you using your own private shipping insurance. There are places on the FedEx website that say that they will not insure collectible coins or stamps. This thread is from 2009, but I've read similar elsewhere.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=750310

I would suggest that you go to another post office. Some post offices are run by people who are jerks. I had this question posed to me years ago, and I answered the same way you did. They still pressed me, but I would not go further as what was in the box. The next time, I had more hassles about the size of the box I was using (Too small, but not a problem at any other post office I had used.) so I stopped using that branch for mailing.

My current post office poses the question, "Is there anything fragile, flammable, liquid or hazardous?" I answer, "No," and that's the end of it. The postal clerk as no business knowing what is in the package if it does not pose a threat to them or the post office department.

It is my understanding that one of the reasons why NGC moved from New Jersey to Florida was that the postal employees in New Jersey learned what was in NGC boxes and started pilfering them at an excessive rate. At least that was the story one dealer related to me.

HT - I've had that same question asked of me occasionally and I reply "it's an artifact". That generally stuns them if they don't know the word, or if they do, they assume it's boring and not worth their interest.

It's funny this thread came up, I was asked the same recently. The USPS rep was surprised that I had insured such a small package for $1000 and asked what it was. I told him it was coins and he immediately scanned it to be active in the tracking system and voluntarily added more security tape.

He was one of the friendly reps, there are others that are not. In most cases they just ask the standard security question and that's the end of it. I like the 'artifact' idea - sounds like something other than gold.

Or you could say "numismatics"; most of them and the public at large don't know numismatics from philately.

I still be concerned about someone in line hearing what you said, who decides to follow you home. Many thieves are not dumb.

Most of the postal workers are quite professional, once they get to know you they will handle your transactions with professionalism and discretion. The long-terms ones know what the rules are of usps worker, customer, interaction and will not breach regular, respectful decorum. If you go to a PO that you don't usually go to there may some of the impertinence. Yesterday I saw a guy handing over $2500 plus in cash for a postal money order, I would think that that would cause some concern, but the postal worker acted like it was no big deal and asked no extra questions.

What the PO did was to shift the question about hazardous contents from the counter clerk to the electronic system. Clerks were evidently getting a lot of grief from the long spiel they had to give every customer.

What the PO did was to shift the question about hazardous contents from the counter clerk to the electronic system. Clerks were evidently getting a lot of grief from the long spiel they had to give every customer.

The only spiel that gets on my nerves is the constant question about buying more stamps. They have signs up in my local PO that say they are required to ask that every time.

Just tell them it's part of your stamp collection. They'll probably just yawn.....

Seriously, I once volunteered that coins were in a small box I'd insured and was told by the Postal Worker "we're not suppose to know what it is, just need to know it's not hazardous".

I'd just respond "it's not hazardous".

My local post office in Michigan is great with just the standard question which I usually answer before they finish the question. However I go there a lot.. Like Bill Jones says every time they ask if I need stamps, I would have a warehouse full and an empty wallet if a purchase was made.

Hey it's a good deal -how else can you get something all across the country in two days or less.

Skeeter

Also, HT, if you're using FedEx are you using your own private shipping insurance. There are places on the FedEx website that say that they will not insure collectible coins or stamps. This thread is from 2009, but I've read similar elsewhere.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=750310

This is a good point about insurance. If you ship off Ebay and buy the insurance provided - read the fine print - as it specifically excludes coins. So, if your buying it through Ebay, quit because it offers you no protection whatsoever.

If you ship off Ebay and buy the insurance provided - read the fine print - as it specifically excludes coins. So, if your buying it through Ebay, quit because it offers you no protection whatsoever.

That would be interesting because you are buying USPS insurance aren't you? And USPS insurance does cover collectible coins. I wonder if eBay put that in because they think "The post office won't insure money and coins are money so coins wouldn't be covered."

If you ship off Ebay and buy the insurance provided - read the fine print - as it specifically excludes coins. So, if your buying it through Ebay, quit because it offers you no protection whatsoever.

That would be interesting because you are buying USPS insurance aren't you? And USPS insurance does cover collectible coins. I wonder if eBay put that in because they think "The post office won't insure money and coins are money so coins wouldn't be covered."

USPS insurance from eBay includes coins. It's the other "default" insurance from eBay that doesn't include coins. You just have to change the default to USPS and no problem.

For insurance, I tried "Ship and Insure" for a while, the problem is you have to enter all the relevant details, tracking number, value, to and from zip codes, etc.. You get charged based on the value of the parcel and the shipping method. Plus you have to join their North American Collectibles Association at around $125. Hugh Wood covers both flat and box parcels and you don't have to enter every single parcel you ship into their system and get charged only on your annual volume. Their option runs under $1000 a year, a payment plan is an option.

USPS insurance from eBay includes coins. It's the other "default" insurance from eBay that doesn't include coins. You just have to change the default to USPS and no problem.

Interesting. I'll check that out. Thanks for the info.

I've never been asked. If I were asked, I'd either say "merchandise" or "nothing liquid, fragile, perishable, or hazardous, and no lithium batteries or perfume," depending on how snarky I was feeling.

My local post office always asks me a scripted question. I've heard it so many times, I've got it memorized. "Is there anything liquid, fragile, perishable, or potentially hazardous? Any lithium batteries or perfume?"

I don't know if this is new policy but twice in the last week when shipping numismatic coins, the clerk receiving the parcel asked me what was inside? Last week I told the lady "a collectible"; she pried, I said it was none of her business, whereupon she tried to feel the parcel to discern what was inside.

She's a government employee? Get her name. Then tell her, anything missing, you're coming looking for her.

They don't know how persistent I can be. Someone rips me off hoping I will let bygones be bygones I will use all legal levers to get justice. There is a member of our coin club who has related how at another coin club meeting some gold coins turned up missing and he demanded that the missing coins be found before they disbanded, giving three options for the prospective thieves, and the third one he said you don't want to hear about. He fought at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba and survived, knows martial arts and has a personal on demand contact with law enforcement. My guess is that theft is something that is not easily forgiven by collectors.