• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade on these - Just Back from NGC!

7 posts in this topic

On the Edward VI: VF25 (nice obverse detail)

On the Anne: AU53 (and very nice surfaces!)

PS -- take my E6 guess with a grain of salt. I'm no good at grading hammered coinage! ;) Both really nice shillings!

Upon a fresh look this morning, I could see the Anne in a holder as high as AU58, and I'd have no problem. But, I'll stick with my original guess of AU53 nonetheless.

The detail seems to be mostly there, but I can't see the surfaces very well because of the glare in the images and the images are too dark. Regardless, the Anne is a sexy coin! (thumbs u

You are really close, Brandon.

The Edward VI has VF details, but NGC called it "repaired." I'm guessing the area they are talking about is the mark above the rosette to the left of his bust.

The Anne came back as a 58. In hand, the toning is absolutely stunning, and the surfaces are fantastic and lustrous. There is just the slightest hint of rub on her cheek - otherwise, this coin would be a 64 at least.

You are really close, Brandon.

The Edward VI has VF details, but NGC called it "repaired." I'm guessing the area they are talking about is the mark above the rosette to the left of his bust.

The Anne came back as a 58. In hand, the toning is absolutely stunning, and the surfaces are fantastic and lustrous. There is just the slightest hint of rub on her cheek - otherwise, this coin would be a 64 at least.

Send the Anne to me, I'll photo her in all her glory. ;)

As I said, I'd have no problem with her in an AU58 dress. I could see just a slight amount of rub, and there is that somewhat hidden gouge/scratch in her hair -- but not distracting in the least. I would be VERY happy with that beauty in my collection! :)

My ability to grade hammered coins is quite frankly horrible. I am glad that I was in the ball park with VF, but most hammered coins look "repaired" to my eye. ;) Regardless, for your monarchs shilling set, you got a very nice Ed6 portrait with great details on that coin! (thumbs u