• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Little Latin American Rarity posted by Congo Kid

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Rare and maybe the finest.

My newest and lovely Latin American Beauty!

Guatemala 1829-NG M Real, KM75. One of the classic rarities of Latin American, a rare one-year type, provisional issue as the State of Guatemala. The SCWC reports only 4 known, but realistically about 12-15 exist. I have traced most of them and the majority are in low grade and/or damaged. The few that are nice and two that are numerically graded by NGC in the same grade I find to be in lower grade than this example. Even the finest graded Whittier example, graded NGC EF40 appears to be inferior to this coin. In essence, I believe that this coin is under-graded and is equal to or better than the Whittier coin.

As noted in the Roberts' description, this is a historically important one year type. It indicates that it is both a "moneda" and a "provisional" issue. It is the only coin of Guatemala to be labeled "Estado" The history of this coin is intimately linked to the politics of this most-important Central American nation during its formative years after Spanish rule was ended. While other series indicate, "PROVISIONAL", this one precedes it with the declaration, "MONEDA", thus making it unique. The obverse is also unique in its legend, "ESTADO DE GUATEMALA".

15088.jpg

See more journals by Congo Kid

Thanks mkman123. This is a 1-year type. It doesn't exist in gold per se. However there are similar designs that were produced in gold. Yes, gorgeous design for sure.

Congo Kid,

Congrats on a very rare and lovely coin! I agree that it has a very appealing design. I also agree that it may be a candidate for an upgrade and resubmission. You could realistically get that next grade up, and for me it would be worth doing just to have it in NGC plastic. Thanks for sharing your wonderful find!

Congratulations on your rare acquisition! I really like sunface behind the mountains design. My one example is a much less rare 8 reales from a few years earlier. ~jack

144593.jpg.e15b2677beaed722bb9a534a1de87130.jpg

@jgeen - nice coin as well! It's a beautiful series in my opinion. If I ever become rich I will try to get them all. ;)

@Mohawk - Thanks again! You are always a great guy on here!