• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS: 1915-S $20 GOLD ST GAUDENS COIN

26 posts in this topic

that is a tough coin to sell raw and with this being your second post on here selling a higher dollar coin raw, i do not think you will have much luck. you would need a more established forum presence or excellent references

Just a stock image used on multiple sites identified as 'popscreen'. They even have some pictures of GSC coins on there.

Google results for that image

Here is the 2012 actual sell of that coin on eBay.

Apparently this 'popscreen' web site is a bit questionable in what it is trying to do. Maybe a clearing house of old sells for all the con artist to utilize.

Then again, maybe you bought this coin in 2012 and just happen to be using the same exact pictures to sell it at a loss. (shrug)

Warning - complete fraud - I sent a message to the supposed Ebay seller and she denied even knowing anything about what I was referring to:

>Dear matt_dac,

no not I, I don't have any idea what that even is? Please, explain

- geocarol2007

Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply

Respond

To: geocarol2007

Subject: matt_dac has sent a message

Sent Date: Jan-29-14 05:15:28 PST

Dear geocarol2007,

Good morning,

Are you currently selling a 1915 Saint Gaudens $20 gold coin on the NGC Chat board right now? A seller on the NGC chat board used your id and I wanted to verify.

Many thanks.

--Matt

- matt_dac<

I think what gave them away as a fraud to me was the first post in USCoins: "Hi, I am just saying hello and thanks for letting me join the boards!"

I feel safer here than any site. You guys are better than paypal protection! Seriously, thank you to the handful of coin detectives / police. I really appreciate your watching out for all of us not just your personal purchases.

David

Google Chrome browser has a nice feature now where you can right click on a picture and "Search Google for this image". They do not just use the name in the search but actually do some sort of algorithmic operation on the image it's self, similar to facial recognition, and then return results.

That makes it much easier to identify where the origin of the picture came from. It returns results that are similar; in this case the blue background and the gold coin.

I would suggest that tool to anyone in the fight against possible scams.

Btw Mark; I think you should change your avatar to this.

oit16.jpg

I've got to be honest, I was tempted to reply to this thread in the beginning asking why zboyle was "grilling" the seller. Clearly, I'm too trusting :P

Good job keeping this place safe guys!

Google Chrome browser has a nice feature now where you can right click on a picture and "Search Google for this image". They do not just use the name in the search but actually do some sort of algorithmic operation on the image it's self, similar to facial recognition, and then return results.

That makes it much easier to identify where the origin of the picture came from. It returns results that are similar; in this case the blue background and the gold coin.

I would suggest that tool to anyone in the fight against possible scams.

Btw Mark; I think you should change your avatar to this.

oit16.jpg

When I was younger I looked similar but not nearly as good as Tom Selik .

That car is a 308 – mine is a 328 ! :/