• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GSA collectors

52 posts in this topic

What's an average price at shows to buy one today (for average quality, still in the OGP) ?

On average, at coin shows, average quality, still in the OGP, $47.95. Throw in a date, mint mark, and grade, that average may vary.

Really ? From what I have seen at the few shows I've been to and on Ebay, I have never seen one in OGP for less than $100, maybe $150.

I see average-looking ones at dealers and shows and Ebay from anywhere from $150 - $400.

Let's see some of those GSA CC's!

Here is my GSA, albeit in a PCGS holder, attributed and VAM'd;

1882-CC Morgan PCGS MS64 GSA VAM-2B Stage3

1882-CCMorganPCGSMS64GSAVAM-2BStage3.jpg

Eight years ago, I bought a 19-coin tube of BU 82-CC's for about $3K. There were a bunch of the VAM-3's in the roll and one that had only been discovered a few months before. It was the VAM-2c. Since then, it made the Hit List 40, so I resubmitted it to NGC for the attribution. Now, there is the 2c-1, -2, -3 & -4, but this coin remains my favorite of the VAM-2 series because it has, both, the counterclash and rotated die.

Chris

What did they charge back in the early-1970's when the government offered those Morgans in the plastic holder ? What's an average price at shows to buy one today (for average quality, still in the OGP) ?
In 1974ish my dad only paid 15 bucks each for the two 82-CCs---one for him and one for me.

Great, thanks. Man, they were a steal back then -- only 15x face value, and silver had already started to rise (was probably $4 - $5/oz.).

CC GSA price depends on the date. 82-83-84 costs about 250

85-is about 600 and 78, 80 & 81 are about 550 79s are A LOT more rare @ approx. 7500!That is for average quality.

Thanks again....I have been looking mostly at the Carson City Morgans so that may have skewed things upward. Maybe someone is offering non-CC Morgans in OGP for less than $100 but I haven't seen them.

And most of the OGP's I've seen are from the 1880's.

GoldFinger,

You'll find 82, 83 and 84 CC all day, every day in all grades on eBay. Plenty to chose from.

I have a 80-CC VAM, still not difficult to find, but it is to find one in the condition I was looking to acquire.

In general, there really tough expensive ones are the 79, 91 & 92 CC's. They're big $$$ in low MS.

What's an average price at shows to buy one today (for average quality, still in the OGP) ?

On average, at coin shows, average quality, still in the OGP, $47.95. Throw in a date, mint mark, and grade, that average may vary.

From what I have seen at the few shows I've been to and on Ebay, I have never seen one in OGP for less than $100, maybe $150.

But is that based on not looking at the dates, mint marks, and grades? If nobody bothers to look at those, they average $47.95. That's what I heard.

This is my receipt for 3 coins purchased from the GSA in 1973. You'll see that my bids for the mixed mint mark circulated and uncirculated failed. The Mixed Years bid got me an 1883 CC for $15. I also got an 1878 CC for $16. My bid on the 1890 CC ($31) got switched to an 1884 CC ($30)after the 1890's sold out.

gsa1_zps33aa3bd9.jpg

This is my receipt for 3 coins purchased from the GSA in 1973. You'll see that my bids for the mixed mint mark circulated and uncirculated failed. The Mixed Years bid got me an 1883 CC for $15. I also got an 1878 CC for $16. My bid on the 1890 CC ($31) got switched to an 1884 CC ($30)after the 1890's sold out.

gsa1_zps33aa3bd9.jpg

That's really interesting. Thanks for posting that. I never saw the receipt nor did I know how the selection process worked. t's good that you saved that all these years.

What did they charge back in the early-1970's when the government offered those Morgans in the plastic holder ?

Silver at the time was between $2 and $3 an oz.

They had four different categories and each came n a different type of holder.

The obviously worn/circulated coins came in a flatpack and sold in the sale for $3 each. No choice of date. (Some notable coins that came in this group was an 1864 seated dollar in G-VG, The only seated dollar in the GSA sales. And for some reason a large number of the MS 1878-CC dollars were also released in this group.)

The Uncirculated non-CC dollars were released in the hard plastic holders. These holders say United States Uncirculated Silver dollar. These were sold for $5 each.once again no choice of date or mint.

Then there were the Mixed CC dollars. These were all actually MS CC dollars but they had been "culled out" usually for toning and the government decided they could't sell them as Uncirculated. They came in a hard pack holder marked Carson City Silver Dollar. These sold for $15 each. (Notable coins that were in this group was a 50% off-center dollar, and the single examples of the 1889 CC, 92 CC, and 93 CC that were in the GSA sale. Most of today's WOW toned CC dollars came from this group.)

And finally the CC dollars the government decided were good enough to be called Uncirculated. These came in the hard pack labeled Carson City Uncirculated Silver Dollar. These coins were offered at different prices depending on the date. The lowest ones were the 1882, 83, and 84 offered at $30 each. I forget the dates but there were also $60 and $120 levels as well. The 1879-CC I beleve were at the highest level and I don't remember what the minimum bid was for them.

All of the prices were officially "minimum bid" prices. Buyers were to indicate the highest amount they were willing to pay. In the event of a sell out (more bids than coins.) they would start with the highest bids and award coins to each successively lower bidder until all the coins were assigned. Then each bidder had to pay the same amount as the lowest successful bidder. (So if you bid $1000 and the lowest successful bidder bid $30, you only had to pay $30)

The Circulated and Uncirculated dollar catagories sold out I believe in the first sale, the Mixed CC lasted I think for two sales.Most of the over $30 catagories did not sell out through the first few sales and eventually what was left was grouped into a potporri grouping in the final early sale at I think a $30 minimum bid and it finally sold out.

Even after all the sales in 1972-74.there were still a lot of 1883 and 1884 CC dollars. These were put back in storage and finally sold at two last GSA sales in 1980. Originally they were to be sold with minimum bids of $35 each but when silver went to $50 an oz they minimums were raised to $60 each. Then silve crashed back down to $10 an oz and right before the sale minimum bids were revised down to $45 each.

This last sale was different from the early ones. In the early sales you were only allowed to bid on one coin per category. But the government want this to be the last sale so they allowed bidders to bid on up to 500 coins per date. Since the $45 minimum was still well below what 83 and 84 CC's were going for wholesale at the time most of the coins went to large dealers and wholesales who submitted multiple 500 coin bids selling out the categories. Few collectors won coins in the 1980 sales.

$47.95?? WHERE???? I'LL TAKE ALL THEY HAVE

i guess common dates, lower quality - can go as low as $130 maybe. but i've never seen them at $50 levels....

W$47.95?? WHERE???? I'LL TAKE ALL THEY HAVE // i guess common dates, lower quality - can go as low as $130 maybe. but i've never seen them at $50 levels....

I agree, that's what my Ebay link above showed.

Count me in for half of your stash at $47.95, Yonico...... :grin: (thumbs u

Had I any money back in 1972-73, I would have bid higher and on more coins. Hindsight IS 20/20. The three coins I got in that auction all graded MS63 with NGC and became the basis of my GSA CC Set. In the fall of 2005, this set (with only 7 of 11 coins) ranked 12th. 5 of those 7 have been upgraded and the remaining 4 have been added. The set, now complete, currently ranks #42. My guess is that collectors have found this series. Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink. I also feel that once a GSA Morgan leaves its "black pack" I have no proof that it is a GSA.

sig.jpg

$47.95?? WHERE???? I'LL TAKE ALL THEY HAVE

I may have omitted a digit. It may be as high as $147.95.

Really. I want to buy a Camaro. What's the average price on a Camaro in average quality on a car lot? Can anybody answer that?

What's the average price on a Camaro in average quality on car lot? Can anybody answer that?

Half way between the high and low prices.

Chris

What's the average price on a Camaro in average quality on a car lot? Can anybody answer that?

Chris

Wouldn't that be the median? I hate to be fussy. :)

What's the average price on a Camaro in average quality on a car lot? Can anybody answer that?

Chris

I don't mean to be mean, but a mean average might be more meaningful.

Chris

Chris

Chris

Why am I feeling like I'm one standard deviation away from being certified? :grin:

Chris

Chris

Why am I feeling like I'm one standard deviation away from being certified? :grin:

Statistically, this argument is going nowhere....right in the fat part of the Bell Curve. :grin:

Chris

Chris

Go for it! For a measly $600, you could get an entire tour of the NGC facility.

Unlimited Value WalkThrough $600 24 hours 48 hours All US coins. Unlimited value.

High Value WalkThrough $250 24 hours 48 hours All US coins. Maximum value $250,000 or less.

WalkThrough $125 24 hours 48 hours All US coins. Maximum value $100,000.

Express $60 48 hours 4 Working Days All US coins. Maximum value $10,000.

Chris

Chris

Chris

Statistically, this argument is going nowhere....right in the fat part of the Bell Curve. :grin:

Stats can be juiced based on the population used.

Chris