• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registry points for Gobrecht Dollars - Admin PLEASE READ!

9 posts in this topic

I know I was warned when I signed up for the registry that it was impolite to complain about the number of points awarded for certain coins, but I think this is a case where a question is warranted.

I noted that any Gobrecht Dollars that are less than PR-60 get ONLY 3 points!!!!! Come on guys! This is very a scarce landmark coin that sells for a few thousand dollars in grades like VG and Fine. Many Gobrecht dollars were released into circulation, and it's now considered to be a part of the U.S. type set, not a pattern by many numismatics. A circulated Gobrecht is not like a clad Roosevelt dime in EF that somehow found its way into a slab. I think you need to adjust your scoring on the this.

I agree - however, see David Lange's response regarding the MS66 Bust Quarter:

Most registry sets score each coin only within a range of grades that are likely to be encountered. That's why there are no meaningful scores for very low grade coins, except in the case of notable rarities. On the other end of the spectrum, there are no scores for unusually high grade coins that are not likely to be found.

Whenever such coins are submitted and receive only a token score, the submitters should notify us to take corrective action. Now that it has been brought to my attention, the MS-66 Bust Quarter will be scored sometime during the next week.

So, the short answer is that the Gobrecht is not locked in at 3 points, but rather is just awaiting an example to be scored. I do agree that this is a drawback if one is contemplating acquiring a coin based on its Registry score, but then again, I don't respect that much as a decision making process! grin.gif

This is not the same, since this is like saying that a Bust Dollar in F12 is not worth scoring properly because it is too low.

Gobs of Gob Dollars were released into circulation; they are more common in circ grades than in PF grades, I surmise.

EVP

Agreed. But they are trying to balance the time it takes to score every grade with the need to get more sets up. Corners have been cut and will be addressed as the specific issues come up. I don't think it's disrespect for the coin - heck, a G-06 sold for almost $3k on ebay - I think it's just a time issue.

If you remember, the Gobrecht dollar was originally display only, but then, after some demand, was changed to competitive by request. At that time, I think that because of several other projects, the coin was scored only at the MS grades.

If I remember, I offered somebody a nice Kennedy half for their low-scoring Gobrecht. laugh.gif

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

All right . . . you win! I'll score the Gobrecht Dollar in lower grades.

By the way, the MS-66 Draped Bust Quarter is now scored.

Keith,

The person to whom you made that very generous offer was me. Before you ask again, I should say that I still decline the offer.

smile.gif

Regards,

Linda's Daddy