• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Case Suggestions ??

35 posts in this topic

I, and I think many people, just use the the PCGS or NGC plastic boxes. The NGC boxes hold both PCGS and NGC slabs, while the PCGS boxes only really hold PCGS slabs. PCGS boxes are more available (from dealers and collectors) because PCGS returns (or at least they used to) coins from the slabbing factory in them, while NGC sells them.

They're compact and relatively unobtrusive.

Compact storage isn't doesn't appear to be that advantageous when you start your collection, but it comes in handy when you have a big bunch of slabbed coins!

Also, one concern that I have with wood and other materials is that they may give off gases that would tarnish coins in a closed environment. I don't have that worry with hard plastic PCGS/NGC boxes.

NGC smoke/clear boxes (I dislike the silver ones) and the last wood box you linked are my favorites.

I haven't seen the NGC smoke/clear boxes. Are they new? I store all my slabs in the silver boxes. I like them.

As stated above, the PCGS boxes are, just like PCGS, restricted to holding only their slabs. I don't see how they're more valuable since their less flexible, but than again, I wouldn't only collect coins in PCGS slabs either.

If I wanted to store gold coins, of which I own a few, I'd only store them in devices that did not risk the surfaces of the coins. I have mine in NGC storage boxes.

The wooden box is neat but looks like a lot of wasted space. As has already been stated, the NGC boxes are superior only in the fact that they will hold either NGC or PCGS slabs. I don't think they did anything special to accommodate this it's just that the NGC slabs are a bit thicker around the boarder so the PCGS slab fits easily. Not so the other way around.

As for the "Smoke" or "Brown" NGC boxes, they are the older ones, I have only one and I like it very much. I'll take a picture of it when I get home and post it.

The NGC smoke boxes are getting much harder to find and more expensive. In the past when I did a search on EBay you could find a couple for sale in the $10-$20 price range...

Now nothing...

I'm still looking for the ultra white whale of NGC storage...

The original white styrafrome holder with the NGC label modeled into the top....

Anyone have one of those for sale ?

If you find two of the white boxes I'm in the market for one as well.

It has been a quest for years. I once found part of the slab holder in an old coin store but the top was missing.

I doubt if I will ever see one in person. It would have to come from an old estate like situation. No one kept these. I think they were made more for shipping than long term storage.

It has been a quest for years. I once found part of the slab holder in an old coin store but the top was missing.

Should have grabbed it when you could ...what if you find a top without a bottom someday?

Should have grabbed it when you could ...what if you find a top without a bottom someday?

I know. I still find it hard to believe that not a single one exists. With all the members here you would think one of us would have one...

Cool. thanks. There is out gassing in styrofoam, so don't you worry a little about it's affect on the coins?

I like toners so Im not really worried about out gassing.

I have one of the 25 slot wooden ones, I only got it 'cause there are 23 Eisenhowers in the set. It works great for them plus I keep one of those packets for moisture in it and use 1 balled-up tissue at each end to keep the lid slightly raised....If you get coins back from NGC in the little cardboard box, they also work great for the lesser value coins. The grey plastic cases are also really good when you size and tape a piece of paper along the side of it listing what's in there....MAILMAN

I have admired collections stored in these cases from Lighthouse: http://www.lighthouse.us/epages/lighthouse.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/leuchtturm_us/Products/MBXL9USK but I find them too bulky and pricey for my purposes (storage in a SDB). If I left my coins at home, I would seriously consider these.

Amazon has some of the Lighthouse products -- wooden slab cases (25 and 50 count), glass-cases for 1 slab, blue velvet 1-slabs -- but they have limited quantities so if you want any might want to hurry as they may or may not replenish.

The company is German so who knows when they send stuff back to the States.

Here is a site I bookmarked a while back. Kinda pricey, but really nice holders in all kinds of sizes. Coin Holders and Boxes MM

Good source, similar to the Lighthouse stuff, never hurts to have another supplier of similar products.

These wood products are pricey but for our best coins not a bad thing to have. (thumbs u Not gonna recommend solo wood holders for regular silver slab coins !! :grin:

yeah most people that i know who collection coins just use NGC or PCGS slab boxes. however, i prefer the NGC boxes because PCGS slabs will fit into them. NGC slabs don't fit into PCGS boxes, especially the older NGC slabs. However, if you're looking for an economical option, I like the standard cardboard boxes. Like this:

2qkhsp5.png

I like the standard cardboard boxes. Like this:

2qkhsp5.png

These are great if you have limited space. Square inch for square inch these fit more coins that any other holder. However, you have to be okay with your slabs rubbing against each other.

Does anyone know if anyone makes a cardboard separated for these boxes - sort of like the separator that NGC uses when they ship back submissions ?

I guess if you have hundreds or thousands of coins it makes sense to save $$$ by buying the less-expensive stuff.

Since my total collection (thus far) is pretty limited, the 25-count and 50-count Lighthouse holders, though pricey, fit the bill. I also bought some separate wooden holders (some with glass tops) for my premium coins. (thumbs u

Figured I splurge now....if I get into bulk down the line I'll look for less-expensive options. :grin:

Got my Lighthouse cases the other day.....very nice, I really like the ones with the glass tops. Awesome not having to open them up to see your nice coins.

In the future will buy more of those and ditch the wood-panel tops you must open to see the coin.

Also bought a Lighthouse 50-slab box, which at my rate of coin accumulation will probably last until 2020. :grin:

yeah most people that i know who collection coins just use NGC or PCGS slab boxes. however, i prefer the NGC boxes because PCGS slabs will fit into them. NGC slabs don't fit into PCGS boxes, especially the older NGC slabs. However, if you're looking for an economical option, I like the standard cardboard boxes. Like this:

2qkhsp5.png

(thumbs u

I had trouble finding something that I liked so I decided to build my own. 1 inch wide boards with a small dowel rod on the front edge to prevent the slabs from slipping out and off the shelf and a flat backing. Will hold 10 NGC slabs on each row for a total of 40. I think it turned out ok, would probably put some additional trim around the sides and top if I made any more. I'm not the most experienced craftsman so it took me the better part of a day to put this together and about 25 dollars in materials (wood, backing, dowel rods)

shelf1.jpg[/img] <a  href=http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll141/cougar729/shelf3.jpg' alt='shelf3.jpg'>

shelf2.jpg