• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A little something for collectors of proof gold.

13 posts in this topic

This is the first quarter 1875 report of gold proof coins struck for sale to collectors. No other gold proofs were produced in 1875. Note that all twenty of each denomination were sold.

75-03-31Goldproof-3mo_zps46a2afeb.jpg

Here’s a photo of one of the coins struck for collectors that year.

1875compositesm_zps9ee01519.jpg

[image courtesy HA.com, January 2007 Orlando, FL (FUN) Signature Coin Auction #422, Lot 3137. $172,500.]

great historical report

thanks for sharing!!

#1------could you please post the 1901 proof gold report

and...................

with any information/comments on the teller cage employee problems and the citizen complaint lodged against the mint's employee during the 1901 calendar year if you know of any if not the above #1 would be great

That post did not make me happy. I'm addicted to coins of 1879. I'm finishing up my mint set now and started a proof set with an Eric Newman top pop seated quarter. I've requested NGC add the gold proofs to the proof set as they do in others but has yet to happen. I have plans on going after gold proofs next year but I might need to take a closer look at the prices and make other plans.

RWB,

If it's not too much trouble to find and post I would love to see it; even though I'm sure it will depress me?.

Thanks in advance for your time and help,

David

1879 gold proofs

26 made in 1st quarter and 10 in 4th quarter.

3 sets put in circulation 1/10/1880

Net of 33 sets - same mintage for all god denom

1879 silver proofs

Coiner and Superintedndent's reports do not match. It will take some research to understand the discrepancies. Use the Guide Book quantities for the present.

26 sets carried over into 1880 and 19 sold during the 1st quarter of 1880.

(I thikn Bob Julian published a series of articles in the Numismatic Scrapbook -- search the NIP index administered by the ANA.)