• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG 1803 Draped Bust Half Dollar

21 posts in this topic

It looks like VF-20 or so sharpness (maybe a bit higher). It is really hard to gauge the surfaces, because the photo's look really washed out. I can tell there are a lot of marks (the surfaces are really rough), but I can't tell if I like the color.

I'll reserve final judgement until I see good pictures, but for now its a hopeful "It may be nice"

Looks like it would have a 25 on the holder. Hopefully the surfaces are decent, but it looks a little busy with chatter marks, and it is hard to judge the color. Hope you can post some good pics when you get it...

The technical grade is probably VF-25 or so, but the reverse is flatly struck which makes the coin look weaker than it is. The extra hair detail you get on the obverse is the problem with the reverse. If you paid VF money, you are okay. If you think that this is an EF ... :(

When the price more than doubles in EF, which it does for this date, the buyers get fussy, and who can blame them?

Looks like it would have a 25 on the holder. Hopefully the surfaces are decent, but it looks a little busy with chatter marks, and it is hard to judge the color. Hope you can post some good pics when you get it...

The Obverse chatter is also a concern for me. I'll know more when I get the coin in hand.

Carl

The technical grade is probably VF-25 or so, but the reverse is flatly struck which makes the coin look weaker than it is. The extra hair detail you get on the obverse is the problem with the reverse. If you paid VF money, you are okay. If you think that this is an EF ... :(

When the price more than doubles in EF, which it does for this date, the buyers get fussy, and who can blame them?

Bill, you and the others nailed the grade--VF25. I had no thought about this coin being EF.

I did think that it was strong for the grade. Maybe 30-35. I examined several dozen other VF25 examples and thought this coin as good or better. Purchase price $850.00.

397947_slab_zpsbf6f5290.jpg

Here's an example of one of my comparison coins.

359838_o_zps431016a1.jpg

359838_r_zps81aa467b.jpg

359838_slab_zpsfd056dc7.jpg

My major area of concern is the amount of chatter on the Obverse. I'll see what that looks like when I get the coin in hand. I'll post pics when I get the coin.

Thanks to everyone on your grades and insights. Any other comments/insights are welcome.

Carl

That's a nice looking Bust Half there Carl. I hope the Obverse chatter is not as distracting in hand as it is in the photos. It could also be an issue with the lighting that makes the Obverse blemishes look worse than what they are.

...I did think that it was strong for the grade. Maybe 30-35...Purchase price $850.00...Any other comments/insights are welcome...Carl

A whole lot of meat on her for a 25. That's 35 level detail with the dings and chatter taking it to 30 IMHO. $850 is a very good price. Congrats!

I try and do the same thing when buying on line-find comparison coins. Sometimes even when I get the coin in hand, I monitor the market for comparison coins to see where the TPG's are grading a particular D/M if I think the coin I have may be undergraded, and worth a shot at upgrade.

Here is my 1803 O-102a also in a 25 holder, that I think is more of a 35-40 (it has some luster), but there is caked on dirt (perhaps powdered silver from being amongst other halves) that hides some detail that may have thrown off or caused NGC graders to be conservative.

http://100005389.wpb.tam.us.siteprotect.com/1803-o-102a-high-r3

I have found NGC to be very conservative on these DBH's, so there is a chance that you have a decent score.

Good Luck! and am looking forward to your pics!

Carl, yours is nicer than the comparison coin.
and I like it as a25. How often do you get to quote yourself! :)

Sam, the more I review comments and look at comparison coins the more I become convinced that this coin is simply very solid for the grade and deserves VF25.

Coin is due in Friday and I'll put my weak photographic skills to work.. and share the results and my comments with the forum.

Carl

Here are my pics. The Obverse chatter is far less distracting in hand than was shown in the sellers pics. Fields and Central devices are a nice silver-gray with darker toning along the rims. The darker toning is most pronounced on the Obverse.

Good purchase, coin is a solid 25 and IMO better that 2 dozen or more 25 s and some 30 s that I looked at before pulling the trigger.

d6397136-4c26-4957-9322-ca1247a5033e_zpse3e40b62.jpg

010_zps3183fb2e.jpg

In these new pics, I'm really liking the obverse a lot more.

This is nothing against your coin at all - but I really don't like the way this type wears on the reverse (all of them, not just your coin).

In these new pics, I'm really liking the obverse a lot more.

This is nothing against your coin at all - but I really don't like the way this type wears on the reverse (all of them, not just your coin).

It is tough to find ones that have decent reverses, agreed. Just need to search through more coins!

Looks like a decent buy Silverhawk!