• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sniped on my attempt for the ultimate 1896 Morgan

10 posts in this topic

Man, I feel violated......I have had my eye on this coin all week....I bid, I rebid.........I even outbid myself making sure I bid high enough to assure a win, but alas.....the coin jumped from $213 to $280 with like 10 seconds left and my max bid was $275.

This one is going to hurt for a while foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

Rainbow Toned 1896 Morgan

Well krypto

Here's a valuable lesson I'm going to teach you! If you want something bad enough, like I did when one of the 2 known certified 6 step 1950-D Jeff's came up for auction, you bid until you can't bid no more!! wink.gif

Leo

Yes, I agree........I can usually judge a good cushion on my max bid vs the current bid, but this one shot up with no time left for me to react. Can't blame anybody, but myself confused-smiley-013.gif

That looked like a nice coin, and if I remember correctly the 1896 is a rather tough coin to get with nice toning. As has been mentioned, don't try to bid higher than other folks, try to bid to what you think the coin is worth.

Unfortunately since my venture into toned coins is only a month long.......I don't yet know what they are worth.....to me yes, but I don't have the pulse of other collectors as of yet. This was a learning experience for me, but I can't say that I feel like I underbid......It simply that the high bidder was willing to go higher. I felt like $280 would win the coin and I underestimated the final price. I don't think I would have felt comfortable going above $300 anyway so I still might have lost it even if I had uped my bid. I think the coin books for like $60 so 5x would have been my max for the toning. I think you are right about 1896 being a tough year for toning.....I may look back years from now and still scratch my head at losing that one.

Krypto,

5x sheet seems like enough premium to me. What I dont understand is how these valuations are determined. Toned Morgans trade at huge premuims because they are widely collected, but there are lots of them. Just look at how many you have acquired in the last month.

I wish I could get 5x sheet for some of my toners. Take my avatar for example. It is an 1864 half-dime PCGS PF66 DCAM. I think it is top-pop. But I dont think I could get anywhere near 5x for it. Granted there may not be the demand but there arn't that many either.

I really wish I knew how to price toned coins.

634330-1864-5c-PF66-CAM-obv.jpg

634330-1864-5c-PF66-CAM-obv.jpg.1e44e4f0e0017daeac03f89f63e61c12.jpg

I think the problem with the one you posted is it's not cheap to begin with so the higher you climb in price...the less palyers at the level. Their are a lot of collectors who can afford $200-$500 so I think that give coins like common date toned morgans, more competiton, not to mention a larger collector base.

With that said I would prefer your coin over any Morgan I've purchased due to eye appeal and overall rarity. The market is fickle and it's tough to judge the premium for toning.......and this is coming from a newby smile.gif

Don't feel too badly about this '96......You can't sweat the things that you can't control. You gave your shot......Remember, there are always more coins !!

Paul