• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEWP ... Guess the grade

10 posts in this topic

edges look scuffed and I'll bet there's foxing that's not visible in the pictures! lol

I did the best I could creating that pic. lol

I did buy the book from them only because I went to Wizard and they were out of stock. I had initially seen it on GSC's eBay listing and was intrigued in that it will be 100% color this year, otherwise I would have just kept relying on last years black and white photos.

Maybe when it arrives I will nitpick and leave negative feedback to make up for all those that left positives despite being unhappy with their purchases. :devil:

I guess I am as happy as can be with that book. Not much is different from the previous year other than it being in color and occasionally throughout the book they will have a small block called a "Case Study" where they briefly analyze a subject coin and focus on the 'eye appeal' or 'strike', etc.. Similar to the way they did in the color section of last years book but in various areas throughout the book.

The book is probably just a waste of money, regardless of what version a person buys since, as Mark Feld states; "I'm not at all convinced that most people follow the ANA grading standards, these days." Given that, and the inconsistency in grading, I think it is more of a hole filler on the bookshelf than an outstandingly useful tool.

I have the 6th edition and use it once in a while. The photos are not very good. Color photos if well defined might be worth it to me picking up a copy even if the standards are not widely used. I'd like to see the comparison between editions.

The colorized version seems to only have an impact on the Gold Section. As you can see, the addition of the 'Case Study' blocks you find throughout the book at various places and the fact that as far a Silver goes you really can't tell a huge difference, which would be expected.

DSCN9222.JPG

DSCN9223.JPG