• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG: Random Gold Pickup

9 posts in this topic

1872-A (Berlin Mint) Prussia 10 Mark Gold: The holder looks to be pretty scuffed up, but I would guess easily MS65, shot at MS66. I also wouldn't be surprised if it got the PL designation (knowing your proclivity for such pieces).

I have seen lot of these little Prussian gold coins over the years on eBay (and elsewhere). I don't own a single piece of gold, but I am quite fond of the crowned eagle shield on the reverse of these (thumbs u

Ooh, my pictures must be really bad on this one.

NGC called it a 67 PL. I personally like it better as a 66PL. The slab is really scratched up though, which may be throwing y'all off.

I'm not all that surprised by the 67 grade. It's difficult to tell in the pics where the slab scuffs end and the coin surfaces begin. Most of these very common gold coins don't trade for much above melt, even slabbed and in very high grades. I almost picked up a little Russian gold coin in a MS67 NGC holder a few months back for that very reason. But, I remembered I don't collect gold. ;)

The collector base for this kind of material seems to be almost non-existent. So, IMO, all the more reason to snag something like this for a great price -- as long as you know that the monetary value of the piece is tightly tied to its gold content.

I'm not all that surprised by the 67 grade. It's difficult to tell in the pics where the slab scuffs end and the coin surfaces begin. Most of these very common gold coins don't trade for much above melt, even slabbed and in very high grades. I almost picked up a little Russian gold coin in a MS67 NGC holder a few months back for that very reason. But, I remembered I don't collect gold. ;)

The collector base for this kind of material seems to be almost non-existent. So, IMO, all the more reason to snag something like this for a great price -- as long as you know that the monetary value of the piece is tightly tied to its gold content.

Yes, I was very surprised by the very low price, which prompted me to do a little more research. What you say about the price being closely tied to the gold content is very true from what I saw. I wouldn't have looked at it twice if it weren't for the PL - but given the low price, the gold, the high grade, and the fantastic mirrors, I couldn't pass it up.