• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Reflections on My First FUN Show, Loosing and Meeting Friends posted by hunter's gold

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

An amazing event too attend

Hi Everyone. First off I would like to offer my condolences too the family of a fellow collector here on our chat boards who passed away. He was to meet me at the FUN Show and I found out from his family the night after he arrived that he had passed away. I will not mention him by name out of respect for the family and their privacy. I will miss him as he was a mentor and a friend. RIP Sir. Well as most of you know I attended my first FUN Show this year in Orlando. Being a native Floridian and I cannot believe I had never been to this show. It was my first coin show I have ever attended and all I can say is WOW. I arrived on Wednesday and was able to set my display up with no problems thanks to the hard work of the FUN Show staff. I wandered around the bourse some on the first day trying to take it all in. On Thursday I met Michael and Emily Prescott (VUMC409) who flew down for the show. Talk about some amazingly nice people. I had been looking forward to meeting them both for a long time and what a better place then the FUN Show. Michael and I have been trading a selling Lincoln pennies for quite sometime and I have to thank him for all his help. I could not have put my set together without his help and many more like him. We spent the day again wandering around the bourse. Michael and I both picked up a few coins we needed. Got too meet a lot of dealers that I have done business with a several other collectors that post on the journals here. We attended the NGC Luncheon on Saturday and that was a highlight for me. The luncheon was outstanding, the food was great and we got too meet several of the people that make NGC the top company that it is. We got too talk with Mark Salzberg, Max Spiegel and Alison Emery just to name a few. My 1959-2008 Lincoln Memorial circulation issue registry set display went very well and I received a packet to display it at the American Numismatic Association National Money Show in Atlanta, Georgia February 27-March 1, 2014. Time to get busy. All in all it was a thrilling experience and I am glad I attending the show and got to meet all the wonderful people I did. I would also like to congratulate all of this years award winners. My friend Michael Prescott (VUMC409) won a journal award this year. Great job Michael. In closing I leave you with a picture of Emily and Michael Prescott and I at the NGC luncheon. As always, thanks for looking and Happy Collecting

15018.jpg

See more journals by hunter's gold

Hi Doug,

First let me offer my condolences for the loss of your friend.

I was eagerly awaiting your report as I know how much time and effort you put into the display, plus this was your 1st FUN Show, and for that matter coin show, WOW, you will have a tough time matching this experience !

Yes, the NGC luncheons and those of the major auction companies are always well done, plus they are a great opportunity to network.

Regarding your exhibit, I was wondering how much traffic you received and were there many young numismatists in attendance? The youngsters are the lifeblood of the hobby and your collection display is a great way to share.

I think in two years FUN is moving to Tampa I hope the show is not impacted

as the OCCC is one magnificent facility.

Continued success !

Rich

Doug,

Sounds like the display and time was wonderful. I will try and break loose to meet you at Atlanta since that is only a few hours for me.

Michael and Emily,

Good to see you two in the photo after sending so many e-mails back and forth over the years. Now I have another pic in my mind for when I chat with you guys. :)

Doug,

Great story and thanks for including Michael and Emily in your post. Haven't had the pleasure of meeting you guys in person, but feel as I know you all from conversing via the internet.

Congrats on a great set and what I'm sure was an awesome showing!

Todd

Doug, Micheal, and Emily

Looks as if you all had a great time. Doug everyone has a first coin show they attended and you couldn't have picked a better one than FUN. Unfortunately, you may find that all the rest of the shows you attend will not match up to this one. I also want to offer my condolences for your friend.

It's really neat to meet people you only knew before from on line. I'm really glad that you, Micheal, and Emily got to meet up. Especially since you both collect Lincoln's! I met yankeejose at the ANA show last summer and we had a blast. In fact we enjoyed a complimentary lunch given by PCGS!

Doug, did you take any pictures of your coins in their cases? It sure would be nice to see what they looked like. Have fun in Atlanta and I hope it works out for you to meet up with Six Mile Rick. We truly have a special community here at Collectors Society!

Gary

Doug,

I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you in person. I did take a long look at your beautiful display on Thursday around lunchtime. It was truly amazing to see all of those ultra-high grade Lincolns in one place! Kudos on a great display, and an amazing set! Truly stunning. (thumbs u

I hope maybe we can connect next year if you'll be at FUN, or maybe ANA in the summer in Chicago?

Cheers,

-Brandon

Rich, there were a lot of Y/N at the show. In all aspects from buyers, sellers, displaying or just enjoying the show. TD Henson, Michael and I talked about you and your love of dimes. Six Mile Rick, gherrmann44, and brg5658, the fact that I follow all of you who commented of this post and enjoy your coins and journals shows how diverse and interesting that the love of coins can be. My display went well. I did get some pictures but of course they are too big to post. Got a lot of great feedback both pro and con. I am going to change the display up a little.