• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarity of toning patterns... Textile vs crescent

23 posts in this topic

Which pattern is harder to find examples of on Morgans and their relative scarcity ?

Textile with a dimple pattern or crescent toning on a Morgan ?

What about on Peace $ ?

and on Ikes ?

Has anyone else seen textile and/or bag crescent toning on Peace $ or Ikes ?

Ive seen a few scant examples of both textile and bag crescent toning on Peace and Ike $...

Which pattern is harder to find examples of on Morgans and their relative scarcity ?

What about on Peace $ ?

and on Ikes ?

Ive seen a few scant examples of both textile and bag crescent toning on Peace and Ike $...

Textile.

Both types scarce.

Only bag on Peace.

Agree textile is harder to find on Morgans. I do like crescent toning though.

I don't see much crescent toning on Peace Dollars or Ikes. I would be skeptical of either textile or crescent toning on Ikes.

As for the relative rarity on Morgans - can anyone quantify it ?

1 for 5 ? 1 for every 10 ? (textile vs crescent)

I know for Peace and Ikes Ive seen perhaps several examples of textile & crescent toned Peace $ and for Ikes - 1 textile which I believe was real... no real color but it did have the dimple pattern across the whole obverse face of the coin.

I have never seen a true bag crescent toned Ike though. The only crescent Ike toners Ive seen are from coins put into albums crooked that toned on one side of the obverse which gave the appearance of a bag toned crescent.

I know for Peace and Ikes Ive seen perhaps several examples of textile & crescent toned Peace $ and for Ikes - 1 textile which I believe was real... no real color but it did have the dimple pattern across the whole obverse face of the coin.

I have never seen a true bag crescent toned Ike though. The only crescent Ike toners Ive seen are from coins put into albums crooked that toned on one side of the obverse which gave the appearance of a bag toned crescent.

For me, and I certainly have less experience than most, but in +- 25 years, I have seen 2 Morgans that I considered Textile. I have seen quite few orange peel toned, which others may consider is textile.

I have seen maybe 3-5 crescent Peace, and no Ike textiles. I have never seen a crescent Ike.

Orange peel ? I am unfamiliar with that term... can you post a link/pic of an example of such ?

You have 10+- yrs on me but my numbers seem to match yours EXCEPT for the textile Morgans... Ive seen dozens over the years unless Im miss classifying them...

Orange peel ? I am unfamiliar with that term... can you post a link/pic of an example of such ?

You have 10+- yrs on me but my numbers seem to match yours EXCEPT for the textile Morgans... Ive seen dozens over the years unless Im miss classifying them...

I doubt I will ever see that many toned textile Morgans. :cry:

Textile no tone, I have seen many, many, many, many, some nicer, some not so much.

What about on Peace $ ?

and on Ikes ?

Textile.

Both types scarce.

Only bag on Peace.

This.

Textile is far harder to find on a Morgan than crescents.

Here's an example of textile toning (and crescent toning for that matter) to make sure you're on the right track.

1362_63_587BobRev.jpg

I've seen some crescents on Peace dollars, but not many. I've only seen one Peace dollar with textile and I bought it... mainly because the coin had light attractive (crescent) toning. The textile didn't particularly increase the eye appeal of the coin, it was darkish in color. I no longer own the coin, but here's a pic of it. You can see the crescent toning and the textile toning is located at about 3 o'clock. You can see that the textile is a finer grain than that on Morgan dollars, which is in keeping with Peace dollar bags having a finer weave than the Morgan dollar bags.

1926PeaceN64ob5.jpg

1926PeaceN64rev8.jpg

That would be like trying to estimate how many of each date/mm were melted under the Pittman Act.

Though you might consider this.......

For each $1,000 bag you could conceivably have 100? 200? 300? More? coins partially overlapping to form crescents. However, it would be unlikely that you would find 50? 60? 70? coins lying flush against the surface of the canvas in each bag. If I had to guess, I would think it would be closer to 10, so I would say it is 100 times more likely that you would find a crescent toner rather than a textile toner.

Chris

Skyman,

I am not following what you are calling crescent toned. Can you explain to me?

Here is an example of what I thought was crescent toning:

1886BC_zps70362c08.jpg[/img]

I think of the example you showed as a gradient across the color spectrum-a true rainbow and beautiful indeed but not a crescent. Am I confused? It happens to me.

Skyman,

I think of the example you showed as a gradient across the color spectrum-a true rainbow and beautiful indeed but not a crescent. Am I confused? It happens to me.

I was actually thinking the same thing. I was equally surprised that someone referred to my Peace Dollar as crescent toned (i.e. the reverse anyway, I can see an argument for the obverse).

1923PeaceDollarCombined_zpsd4264b35.jpg

Textile is orders of magnitude rarer than crescent toning. Crescent toning is very common - any search for toners will turn up dozens if not hundreds of them, but maybe only a couple textiles.

As for Sy's peace - that looks to be a crescent, but the toning is subtle so it may be harder to see. Most crescents were formed when one coin was partially overlapping the other, so only the uncovered portion toned. More generally, the term is applied any time there is a roughly coin-shaped demarcation between the toning and untoned sections. Usually, the toning follows this in bands like PLMs beautiful example, but it is entirely possible (based on the coins orientation, air flow, and a host of other factors), to have a patter like Kenny's superlative Peace. The reverse of the peace shows a curved delineation between the toned and untoned sections that roughly looks like the diameter of a peace dollar, so I could see it being called a crescent toner.

The reality of the matter is, no one searches out the crescent shape. People search out tab toning, cat's eye, end-of-roll, and textile toning - but the basic crescent is kind of the standard form of toning on Morgans.

Textile is orders of magnitude rarer than crescent toning. Crescent toning is very common - any search for toners will turn up dozens if not hundreds of them, but maybe only a couple textiles.

As for Sy's peace - that looks to be a crescent, but the toning is subtle so it may be harder to see. Most crescents were formed when one coin was partially overlapping the other, so only the uncovered portion toned. More generally, the term is applied any time there is a roughly coin-shaped demarcation between the toning and untoned sections. Usually, the toning follows this in bands like PLMs beautiful example, but it is entirely possible (based on the coins orientation, air flow, and a host of other factors), to have a patter like Kenny's superlative Peace. The reverse of the peace shows a curved delineation between the toned and untoned sections that roughly looks like the diameter of a peace dollar, so I could see it being called a crescent toner.

The reality of the matter is, no one searches out the crescent shape. People search out tab toning, cat's eye, end-of-roll, and textile toning - but the basic crescent is kind of the standard form of toning on Morgans.

Interesting comments.

I am sure you have seen many more Peace and Morgans than I ever will :cry:

My limited experience has not been as mathmatically generous as yours re. Crescent toning on Morgans, and even less so on Peace. It may just be what I consider original. It may be the geographic area. I don't get out much. It may be my poor understanding of the area encompassed before it is a meaningful crescent, and not a cat's eye.

I seem to encounter many people searching for Crescents at the Shows I attend, and mostly Mprgans, because they are somewhat not expecting to finding any Peace. Textiles? Not seen, and in the example referenced above, while some minor partial textile, it is not what, again in my limited experience, would be the type of full textile appearance that I have come to understand is sought after.

It is of note that in the example above, I do see orange peel (and nice clash)

The hardest to find, again in my limited experience, in either Morgan or Peace, is end roll toning on Reverse.

PLM, generally crescent toning is what is meant when 1 coin overlays another coin in a bag. I may have thrown you by stating that the Morgan was a crescent toner. I would agree it is more of a rainbow toner than a crescent toner... I was being a little sloppy in my giving it that designation, because if you look you can clearly see a curved pattern on the toning. Technically a true crescent will look more like this... where it is obvious that one coin overlaid another. You'll note this one also has some textile toning on it.

186_65_690_BobObv.jpg

186_65_690_BRev-1.jpg

......People search out tab toning, cat's eye, end-of-roll, and textile toning.......

Cat's Eye toning..........Two opposing crescents that don't see eye-to-eye!!!!!!

Chris

I think crescent toning has to look like a crescent to be considered such...

Otherwise it should probably be called "bag" or "mint bag" toning. The Peace $ shown is what I would call "bag toning." It might have been on its way to a crescent but perhaps the bag at moved at some point and it lost that other coin but still toned up beautifully.

Skyman,

I was actually thinking the same thing. I was equally surprised that someone referred to my Peace Dollar as crescent toned (i.e. the reverse anyway, I can see an argument for the obverse).

1923PeaceDollarCombined_zpsd4264b35.jpg

I can see the crescent toning on the reverse as well. The color is much lighter, but from your picture, I can see a clear line where the toning ends. It appears another coin "lay" on top of it during the toning process. It's a beautiful Peace dollar.