• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG: 1948 Franklin Half

22 posts in this topic

Bought this coin raw about two and a half years ago. I had it submitted to NGC a little over a year ago. What do you all think it came back as?

EDIT: I just realized if you click the image it takes you to photobucket where I have the grade in the title of the file. So, if you're going to take a stab at the grade please don't cheat!

194850CNGCMS64FBLObv_zpsb53b3732.jpg

194850CNGCMS64FBLRev_zps41887866.jpg

I'll say MS64FBL. The set of lines left of crack are always the weakest area. If it got MS65FBL, your pictures are too good, they're showing too much, and I'm being nitpicking. Anyway, nice coin.

65 FBL is what I was hoping for and kind of expecting, but for some reason this came back as a 64 FBL.

I compared it to two different NGC 64's I have and this 48 is MUCH nicer. It is also nicer than a few NGC 65's I own.

I've thought about resubmitting it a few times. I have $88 into the coin right now including the grading fee. Would it be worth it to send it back in and hope for a 65 FBL?

It may very well upgrade. There's nothing on this that screams "MS64FBL." The only issues are the scattered hits in the hair curls and a few scratches.

It may very well upgrade. There's nothing on this that screams "MS64FBL." The only issues are the scattered hits in the hair curls and a few scratches.

The hits around Franklins ear are what jump out to me as well. The rest of the coin I believe is gem quality, though.

I've thought about resubmitting it a few times. I have $88 into the coin right now including the grading fee. Would it be worth it to send it back in and hope for a 65 FBL?

No

it is a very nice coin though

i thought it looked like a 66, i guess i am about the only one who feels that way

Someone over at CoinTalk thought it could go 66 if the luster was better.

Assuming my interpretation of your pictures is accurate, I do not agree. The mark on the bell automatically rules it out, but there is too much chatter on his cheek as well. I like it at 65, but it should never get 66.

i thought it looked like a 66, i guess i am about the only one who feels that way

Assuming my interpretation of your pictures is accurate, I do not agree. The mark on the bell automatically rules it out, but there is too much chatter on his cheek as well. I like it at 65, but it should never get 66.

I agree 100%

I agree 100%

While I don't think the coin should grade 66, when it comes to grading, I would not say something like "The mark on the bell automatically rules it out,..."

We are looking at a large image and I have seen a number of such coins graded 66 with similar marks on the bell.