• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think of the toning on these beauties?

15 posts in this topic

I have a feeling that the toning is caused by the slab insert but anyway here they are, The 1958 is graded PF-68 and the 1963 is graded PF-68cam . The Rev of both these coins are white.

104303-1958dime.jpg.2896966102499b69dd2c75f9a414a486.jpg

The coins in question were stored in an album or mint set holder that caused this kind of toning. It is extremely common on MS coins of the late 40's through the 50's.

hi there i think the holder did not tone these coins and is not toning them now and offers great protection for the coins!

the coins for me from the scans look like nice originally toned coins and this toning took place over many years and i bet they are much more eye appealling in person!!!!

sincerrly michael

Sweet Carl! I've been looking for such beauties in the raw for my album. Found a couple (MS) - a 50-S and a 53-S - in a coin shop in Woodland CA on a recent trip. Worth the premium!

Hoot

I have heard that coins can continue to tone after they have been slabbed. It is not caused by the slab or insert but by the contaminants that were on the coin before it was slabbed. Also could be the envirment in which the coin is stored as well.

Carl, I agree. I have some slabs that date back to the beginning and I have had them that long. I have yet to see a encapsulated coin that has toned in the slab, except Lincoln Cents. Here is another Roosevelt toned dime.

105039-1958Dime.jpg.75a6e2245ef52ca28fab4556f629cb04.jpg

I replied to your same ? on another board so I'll just link it since it has some pictures and would be a pain to repost here. thread with possible slab tone I also have some dimes in old NGC holders with the same tone but not as heavily, probably because of less air space for the silver to react.

I would have to see results from a more controlled test, but I have some pretty old NGC holders and the coins in them have not changed toning. Could it be that someone dipped the coin (before it was slabbed) and did not clean it properly? That seems more plausible given the fact that many coins have been in the same slab and have not changed at all over many years

Dipped before it was slabbed? Hardly. Dipping would have removed the original bag tone.

How old are your old NGC slabs? This only occurs in 3rd, 4th, & 5th generation slabs, maybe 1st & 2nd but those slabs are very rare & seldom seen. The 6th generation holders were redesigned to seperate the paper & ink chemicals from the coin to prevent this holder toning. So if you see a coin with this tone in a 6 thru 10 generation slab it was a pre 6 that was reholdered.

Also take note that these coins are tilted instead of being perfectly flat in the neophrene gasket and the area of tilt exactly matches the area of toning on the coin.

Not all old NGC slabs do this. These slab toned coins are the exception, not the norm, for earlier NGC holders.