• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Generally new to the boards, need opinion on a coin.

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I have been sitting back reading all the posts. I have to submit 5 coins soon from my membership certificate. I found this coin when I was a kid on Pigeon Point where they used a old civil war bullet factory as fill for the landing. I found 5 coins but this is the only one I can find now. Do you guys think it will grade or is there too much "environmental damage". Thanks for everyone's opinion!

143910.jpg.e704b4ac66316e1f91c7e9cee9e99201.jpg

143911.jpg.5fbe3e98031faef171d486287526da53.jpg

Due to environmental damage and rim issues, I don't think the coin would grade. Even if it would, however, I doubt that the condition/value would warrant it.

I will...found it as a kid it is worth protecting.

If your aim is to protect it, there are other, less costly ways.

Sounds like he has free submissions to use and it is either send 4 or include this

Unless I misunderstood

Yep free. Just a neat sentimental piece. I have 4 other coins I will be submitting with it. I have already signed up for 2 classes at this years Atlanta ANA show so I will learn a lot more about grading and evaluating coins, just not sure what constitutes as environment damage. This is start of my 3rd year collecting and my main new years resolution was to become more knowledgeable about the coins I collect.

I've been collecting seriously for 3 years. From what I can tell, those porous black craters in the fields and on the rims of the coin seem like environmental damage. It's not major, but it's enough to give it a details grading. I think it's actually a nice piece if your mainly interested in it as a sentimental one, not an investment or collector piece so much. One way to increase your knowledge of these things is to look on ebay. Search a certain series and make the options only show graded coins, espeicially the cheaper end ones. You'll find a lot of details graded coins and you can read their problem and see the pics for yourself to get acquainted with all that in no time. As someone said, I think you could store that in something else, maybe a cardboard 2x2 because then you could write personal stuff on it. I've done that for some of my interesting circulation finds. Earlier in my collecting, I was thinking of getting the 5 graded coupons, but i was kinda hard-pressed to find anything suitable. Maybe wait a few months, if you can, to grow your collection so you'll have more to choose from. Or, just send it all in now, if you can't wait. Welcome to the boards. It's an awesome resource. I haven't been that active before on here, but I check from time to time and find some useful stuff.

I agree with the others that the coin would end up in a details holder for environmental damage, and even if problem free, would not be worth enough to financially justify submitting the coin. With this said, if it has sentimental value, then I can understand. It would be hypocritical of me to suggest that I wouldn't submit a sentimental coin. In fact, my first "serious" coin (and I use that loosely - it was serious for an 11 year) will be slabbed soon. It was a common date 1900 Morgan that would probably grade MS63 or so today with very subtle toning. My first toner. :cloud9:

If protection alone is your concern, I do agree that CoinWorld Slabs, Airtight, and the 2x2 Intercept shield products (if you can still find them), are all excellent choices.