• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pre-FUN Sale - Toners, Prooflikes, and a Shilling

15 posts in this topic

Hey y'all, just got a few things that I've upgraded (or plan to upgrade in the near future), and I'm trying to get a little extra cash for the FUN show. Make an offer on anything you like, all prices include shipping, Paypal is welcome but add 3% for fees.

1709 Queen Anne Shilling, NGC EF-45, $300

IMG_9943_zpseba1648d.jpg

IMG_9945_zps6fe8042e.jpg

1946 BTW Commem, in an old fatty NGC 4 slab, graded 65, $200

JPA925obverse.jpg

JPA925reverse.jpg

IMG_8388.jpg

1958D Franklin, NGC MS-65, $150

1958D2FrankObv_014.jpg

1958D2FrankRev_002.jpg

1885 Morgan, NGC 65 PL, $350 *SOLD*

JPA905obverse.jpg

JPA905reverse.jpg

1886 Morgan, NGC Binion Hoard 65*, $400 *SOLD*

1886Binion65obv_008.jpg

1886Binion65rev_007.jpg

2000D, Sacagawea Millenium Set, NGC MS-66 DPL, $200

JPA868obverse.jpg

JPA868reverse.jpg

2001 ASE, NGC Unc Details Artificially Toned, $100. I'm not convinced, and I think there is a good chance this one is naturally toned - but that is solely my opinion. *SOLD*

Consignments137150_zps906a106b.jpg

Consignments137151_zps7af4da63.jpg

I think the Silver Eagle is artificially toned. The toning does not go around the coins designs. Meaning, that it doesnt change around the designs. It just goes over them like they are not there. The toning on the Franklin is natural toning. The obverse shows that the toning goes around the letters on the obverse. But the letters are tone free. So, this suggests to me that its natural toning. The silver eagle was done with heat. And so, it disregards all the designs. It starts to tone where the heat hits the coin. So, in my opnion, its artificial toning. I can replicate it in my basement....

I can replicate it in my basement....

i would love to see you do that. and please post pics of the results.

FWIW, the toning on this eagle looks like an old PCI holder toning to me. i've seen a few similar to this one that were slabbed with "100% white" on the label (which means they toned in the holder). can't tell for sure, of course, but i think this one is NT...

I can replicate it in my basement....

i would love to see you do that. and please post pics of the results.

FWIW, the toning on this eagle looks like an old PCI holder toning to me. i've seen a few similar to this one that were slabbed with "100% white" on the label (which means they toned in the holder). can't tell for sure, of course, but i think this one is NT...

That is what I think as well, but since NGC did call it AT, I'm being very clear about that.

I've seen some ASE's in PCI holders that look like that. The label on the holder says "100% White" or some such. So either the slab toned the coin OR someone was able to gas it. Whatever the case I'm sure the coin is worth something and Jason's price seems reasonable to me.

On that note a question to Jason: Did you send this coin in or did you buy it that way? I'm curious is I though it was well known that NGC just doesn't holder these kinds of toned coins....whereas PCGS does it all of the time. Just curious.

jom

I've seen some ASE's in PCI holders that look like that. The label on the holder says "100% White" or some such. So either the slab toned the coin OR someone was able to gas it. Whatever the case I'm sure the coin is worth something and Jason's price seems reasonable to me.

On that note a question to Jason: Did you send this coin in or did you buy it that way? I'm curious is I though it was well known that NGC just doesn't holder these kinds of toned coins....whereas PCGS does it all of the time. Just curious.

jom

I bought it already slabbed this way from our friend kryptonite. I don't know it's history prior to this.

I know what youre saying. And I did have like 20 of those rainbow toned coins in the PCI holders. I dont think they toned in the holder. They were toned outside, and PCI graded them. Later on, PCI turned around and started grading them artificially toned. Its obvious why NGC said artificially toned. I can make one of those, but Im not going to ruin a Silver Eagle to do it. I used to buy and sell rainbow toned coins. But, I have put those away, and now I sell white silvery coins now. Its better money and it sells faster. I do have quite a bit of rainbow toned coins in my inventory that just sits there. Alot of them are roosevelt dimes.

Sacagawea is sold!

This is your last chance on the shilling, BTW, and Franklin. Make an offer! I'm leaving for FUN first thing in the morning tomorrow, and taking these with me - get them now or they may be gone!

I think the Silver Eagle is artificially toned. The toning does not go around the coins designs. Meaning, that it doesnt change around the designs. It just goes over them like they are not there. The toning on the Franklin is natural toning. The obverse shows that the toning goes around the letters on the obverse. But the letters are tone free. So, this suggests to me that its natural toning. The silver eagle was done with heat. And so, it disregards all the designs. It starts to tone where the heat hits the coin. So, in my opnion, its artificial toning. I can replicate it in my basement....

Both Morgan dollars and the BTW in this thread show toning that is not interrupted by the lettering, so this is clearly not a basis for determining artificial color.

It is also not advisable to compare toning on classic coins to ultra-modern coins, due to differences in manufacturing, metallic composition, and storage methods.

I know what youre saying. And I did have like 20 of those rainbow toned coins in the PCI holders. I dont think they toned in the holder. They were toned outside, and PCI graded them. Later on, PCI turned around and started grading them artificially toned.

I hate hijacking the OP's thread but at least it keeps his post up high on the board :)

But I have to ask: if these toned outside the holder and only then holdered by PCI, please explain the many PCI toned eagles that are designated "100% white" at time of slabbing, and now display full rainbow colors!!

Do you suggest these arrived at PCI grading already toned, and PCI graders cheated and labeled them as 100% white???