• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1964 Kennedy Half Dollar Accent Hair Variety Question

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have an NGC graded Proof 1964 Kennedy Half Dollar, cert# 616857-009 which is graded PF 68 CAMEO. I am 99% certain this is an “Accent Hair” variety, but the variety designation is missing from the holder.

I'm not sure is this is a simple oversight or perhaps this was not a free variety listing back then (it is in an older style holder, see pics below). It is my understanding that this variety is now attributed for no additional charge.

I would like to get the variety listed on the holder. What is the best way to re-submit this coin for review?

Does this qualify for a “mechanical error”? If not a “mechanical error”, I’m confused if this is a “ReGrade” / “ReHolder” / “ReHolder w/Label Change” / “Designation Review”, or some other Grading Service. Can you help me determine the most cost effective manner to submit my coin? Does the normal 5 coin minimum apply in this case?

Thank you for your time.

Below are images of the specific coin in question.

36xm.jpg

hhfm.jpg

x0tv.jpg

zxt3.jpg

zqa8.jpg

u6zx.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It does appear to be the Accented Hair variety. In recent years NGC has noted this without extra charge, as long as the submitter mentions it on the submission form. Even if it isn't noted, the graders will usually spot it, but that's not guaranteed.

As for coins already NGC-certified, adding the designation will require VarietyPlus service. Submit your coin for VP at $15, which includes reholdering, and note in the variety line the reason that you are submitting it.