• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1831 Capped Bust 50c grade?

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I bought 1831 Capped Bust 50c because I don't have it in my collection. I am pretty happy to have it now. I, also, bought 1875 - S twenty cent piece. and it is on the way (I will post the picture when it arrived in my mailbox). I need your help with grade for this coin because I am not familiar with bust coins grade level. I am guessing "F" or less because of fading on all edges on reverse? Also it looks like it has been cleaned or maybe not?

IMG_0139_zps18dfced3.jpg

IMG_0140_zpsdc79da52.jpg

All right, thanks! I gotta to buy any coins in graded slab for now on.. I always feeling disappointed to get any coins that have been cleaned even though the seller said it has not been cleaned.

VF details "cleaned"

Agree, unfortunate to see a nice coin abused like that. BTW the Overton # is O-118 it is an R3 in rarity (scarce). 200-500 known.

Carl

All right, thanks! I gotta to buy any coins in graded slab for now on.. I always feeling disappointed to get any coins that have been cleaned even though the seller said it has not been cleaned.

The coin looks obviously and harshly cleaned. Either the seller is a liar or knows so little that he should not be making representations regarding the coin's condition. Either way, he should refund your money in full.

And if you couldn't tell that coin has been cleaned, it might be a good idea to stop buying coins (whether certified or not), until you know the difference.

The coin looks obviously and harshly cleaned. Either the seller is a liar or knows so little that he should not be making representations regarding the coin's condition. Either way, he should refund your money in full.

And if you couldn't tell that coin has been cleaned, it might be a good idea to stop buying coins (whether certified or not), until you know the difference.

It was from eBay picture.. the pictures on ebay look like it hasn't been cleaned, so I had to send him an email to double check, and he replied, "It has not been cleaned." Well, well.. my stupid mistake. But Carl, Silverhawk, bring up about O-118 variety. I can see the letter "A" is little far apart from first "T" letter in STATES (Is that part of variation) or am I wrong? So, should I keep it or what? I only bought it for $80, it's cheaper than what I normally bought for Morgan Dollars ($350 and up).

It was from eBay picture.. the pictures on ebay look like it hasn't been cleaned, so I had to send him an email to double check, and he replied, "It has not been cleaned." Well, well.. my stupid mistake. But Carl, Silverhawk, bring up about O-118 variety. I can see the letter "A" is little far apart from first "T" letter in STATES (Is that part of variation) or am I wrong? So, should I keep it or what? I only bought it for $80, it's cheaper than what I normally bought for Morgan Dollars ($350 and up).

I would return it.

I agree with Mark. You should return the coin. The cleaning is far too harsh for this variety/rarity. PM me and I'll be glad to help you with information on the CBH series.

But more importantly, as Mark stated, you need to learn to identify if a coin has been cleaned.

Carl