• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

******Stolen Coin: 1857-S $20, SSCA, PCGS MS 63********

23 posts in this topic

I had an 1857-S $20, SSCA, PCGS MS 63, stolen from me this afternoon, right under my nose in my store, in Silver Spring, MD, a suburb of Washington DC.

This coin is TOTALLY identifiable by a streak in the metal between the forehead and the stars. I would appreciate any assistance.

Many thanx

Julian

301 584 8467 store

301 785 5640 cell

jmlbc@comcast.net

Man that just stinks............I hope they catch the criminal and lock them up for a long time.

I live in Florida so I doubt I will ever see the coin, but if you post the cert #......I can keep an eye out on Ebay for you 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Horrible news! I wish you the best of luck recovering the coin.

I've only ever had one coin stolen, and it was a $30 Ike. Yet I can imagine how gut-wrenching it would feel to have a major coin stolen!

My greatest fear has always been losing a consignor's coin, or having it stolen...

James

UPDATED, 8/27/05

After discovering and reporting the theft, I placed an Ebay search for the stolen coin. Near the end of Jan., after receiving over 100 "hits", I hit pay dirt.

NFC, a FL dealer, was offering my coin for sale. I contacted them. I have known Joe Seminara and his partner, Tim Carroll for over twenty years. After a couple of questions, I discovered that Joe had purchased the coin, raw, from a central FL jewelry store, which also dealt in coins. I asked Joe to stop the Ebay sale, which he promptly did. I then contacted the jewelers and found out that the coin had been taken in trade for some other double eagles from someone who had come into their store. The jeweler told me that the person was someone that they did not know and they did not have any records of the transaction, other than their "cost" was $3200. After another conversation with Joe, I learned that he had purchased the coin from the jewelry store three days after it had been stolen in MD and attempted to have it encapsulated by NGC several times before it finally was, because of the streak in the metal that had made it unique. I made arrangements with Joe to examine the coin at the Long Beach show in February, just to confirm what I already knew. I examined it and, indeed, did confirm it. Joe then told me that he needed the coin back in order to receive a refund. Inasmuch as he had done everything that I had requested, I gave him back the coin and expected that the coin would be returned to me. Although I may not have had to return the coin, that would have put Joe in a position that would have made it extremely difficult to receive his justifiable refund, without legal action. The jeweler subsequently refused to return the coin to me.

I had grave reservations about the story from the jeweler and offered him a small settlement to return the coin to me and I would leave it at that. My offer was refused. I then contacted the Mont. Co., MD police department and told them of my discovery and the developments to date. Detective Sonia Pruitt helped me as much as she could, but really could not do much. I also contacted the Lakeland Florida Police Department and told Detective Tony Williams the story. After confirming that I had indeed filed a police report, he began to investigate. I learned from Detective Pruitt that the information provided about the person who presented the coin was bogus. I eventually learned that the actual cash purchase price was $1200. Around this time, I contacted numismatist and Florida attorney, Greg Hansen, who graciously offered me his professional counsel and even filed a legal demand for return of the coin. Concurrently, Detective Williams was conducting a very thorough investigation, interviewing numismatic experts in Florida, eventually traveling to Sarasota where he interviewed Bill Conroy from NGC.

Detective Williams told me that he believed that the coin, in Florida, and the stolen coin were one in the same and that he would get counsel from the police legal advisor, Ted Jacobson, who eventually informed me and the jeweler that we were both at some fault and suggested that we split the jeweler's cash purchase price. I agreed. They declined, willing to only accept their actual cost. A couple of weeks later, I got tired of the whole process and agreed to reimburse them. They then declined, saying that they had hired counsel and their costs were greater. Mr. Jacobson then filed an inerpleader lawsuit against both the jeweler and myself in order to let a court decide. At that time the local newspaper learned of the story, contacted me for my comments, and published the story about the lawsuit the next day. Three days later, as I was leaving for the ANA, they contacted me and accepted my last offer. I sent a check upon my return and the coin was given to Nick Hauser, who had also counseled me, and he sent it to me. Ten months after theft, the coin is back in MD. BTW, the NGC grade is MS 64.

Many, many thanx to all that assisted me in this recovery.

It sounds like NFC is the only innocent party after the theft and they acted responsibly and ethically to your plight. I sure would like to know the name of the other FL jeweler/coin ??dealer?? so I can be sure to avoid them. It's true that algae blooms can kill thousands of fish in the inland waters, but this stench is much worse.

Chris

I am certain that the owners of the jewelry store did not steal the coin from my store. The thief has not been caught.

They may not have participated in the theft, but from Silver Spring, MD to Central FL to your friend Joe in 3 days? GET REAL!! I can make that drive in 12 hours as long as the cops are taking a coffee break along I-95 and US-301. Excuse my distrust, but since when does a jeweler/coin??dealer?? not keep a record of a $3200 transaction, or even a $1200 transaction. Inquisitive minds at the IRS and the FDLE would like to know. It wouldn't be the first time someone was running a fencing operation to supplement their income.

Chris

I am certain that the owners of the jewelry store did not steal the coin from my store. The thief has not been caught.

They may not have participated in the theft, but from Silver Spring, MD to Central FL to your friend Joe in 3 days? GET REAL!! I can make that drive in 12 hours as long as the cops are taking a coffee break along I-95 and US-301. Excuse my distrust, but since when does a jeweler/coin??dealer?? not keep a record of a $3200 transaction, or even a $1200 transaction. Inquisitive minds at the IRS and the FDLE would like to know. It wouldn't be the first time someone was running a fencing operation to supplement their income.

Chris

I agree,this jewler sounds a little fishy to me...

I feel very, very fortunate to have recovered my stolen property.

Beyond that, I really do not wish to publish my further thoughts about the jeweler.

Something tells me this ain't over even if you got your coin back and even if it doesn't involve you anymore. Julian, we all understand your lack of enthusiasm to give your opinion about the jeweler. But we can. Simply because we only know what you have told us. Well, you sure didn't stick up for them!

First their cost was $3200....cops step in....and BAM....right down to $1500!!!!!

Well, that's fishy!

Jerry

Although I may not have had to return the coin, that would have put Joe in a position that would have made it extremely difficult to receive his justifiable refund, without legal action. The jeweler subsequently refused to return the coin to me.

I can understand Joe's move for a quick refund without the legal hassle. Why didn't the two of you confront this jeweler with the facts. He could have dumped the coin on someone else and you would have been back to square one.

Leo

The jeweler was totally informed as soon as I became aware of where the coin was. To their credit, they did not try to dump the coin on someone else. IMHO, if they had done that, after being informed that it was a stolen coin, they could have been in more legal trouble.

Although it's the lesser of all evil's since you did get the coin back, $1200 is still $1200. Not to mention the frustration during the whole process. But, seems to me Florida needs to require Pawn Brokers and Jewelers to at least get a name and a valid address from some form of photo id, preferably drivers license, and especially if they paid the guy in cash. It almost seems like the jeweler is protecting the seller of the item. Perhaps because he always comes in and gives them outstanding deals!

Although it's the lesser of all evil's since you did get the coin back, $1200 is still $1200. Not to mention the frustration during the whole process. But, seems to me Florida needs to require Pawn Brokers and Jewelers to at least get a name and a valid address from some form of photo id, preferably drivers license, and especially if they paid the guy in cash. It almost seems like the jeweler is protecting the seller of the item. Perhaps because he always comes in and gives them outstanding deals!

Unless the $3,200 to $1,200 transaction price was a brain fart, it does indeed seem rather suspicious. The failure to have any records seems like grounds for the police to fine the jeweler. If that's the way they do business, they become a de facto fence (even if they don't know for sure the merchandise is stolen).