• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FBL Franklin Proofs?

17 posts in this topic

Being an avid, sometimes obsessed Franklin Proof collector, here lately I have been seeing numerous auctions for Franklin proofs being described as FBL or nice deep bell lines. From what I understand, and have noticed from the ones I have, all Franklin proofs have FBL. If I am wrong please correct me.

I have even had the guys at my local coin shop point out the FBL on a proof Franklin. Again it is my understanding that the bell lines on a proof have no bearing on grade. When I have told the guys at the local coin shop this their reply was " Well the proofs should be graded FBL as well". I don't totally agree with this, but to each their own opinion.

What are your thoughts?

I think you are correct.

While there might be exceedingly rare exceptions, as a rule, proof Franklin half dollars display full bell lines. Accordingly, it is unnecessary and redundant to describe Proofs as such.

The same goes for full bands on Proof Mercury dimes. That said, from my experience, a non-FB Proof Mercury dime is not as rare as a non-FBL Proof Franklin half dollar.

Emphasizing the normal as if it were special is certainly a "cheap sales gimmick hoping to lure in suckers." :)

“High Relief” 1921 Peace dollars for example.

I have a full set of Franklin Half Proofs in the registry and much to my surprise they ALL have FBLs. The pics aren't really clear on some so I checked the coins themselves and sure enough, there they are! lol.

I'm working on my Registry Set. Good to know I don't have to look for FBL, lol.

"cheap sales gimmick hoping to lure in suckers"

Right on the mark!

you guys are very kind

I agree, "hoping to lure in suckers" is a little crude. I'd have said, "pigeons."

Ahhhh....squab for dinner.

To be fair, every business has its ethically destitute marginal low-life. Just a quick look at the volume of commercial laws and regulations – local, city, state, federal – will help.

"Proofs are double struck under higher pressure than BU's so they are generally fully struck."

Nope. Double striking of collectors' proofs did not begin until the mint purchased special Schuler presses. Prior to that, proofs were made on a medal press, with one blow.

[Pick up a copy of "From Mine to Mint" to learn about the earlier technology and equipment.]