• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on this 1964 Type B Washington Quarter

10 posts in this topic

Hello!

Just received this in the mail today, thought I'd throw it out here for a few opinions. (It's always good for me to practice my grading skills...) Picked it up on eBay for $8.95 shipped...

1964WashingtonQuarter-Obverse_zps2c05beb1.png

1964WashingtonQuarterTypeB-Reverse_zps60e9d741.png

Obverse: I see a hit on the neck and two on his jawline/cheek. The fields have minor scratches that are really over-exaggerated with the photos. In hand, the coin is proof-like.

Reverse: Definitely the strongest side. Clean fields and only two minor hits on the eagles' wings (Under the I of UNITED on the left and under the second A of AMERICA on the right.) Not a single mark on the eagles' chest.

I'm thinking it's either an MS65 or MS66, probably a 67 on the reverse and a 64/65 on the obverse. What do you think?

It looks like a 65 obverse, 66 reverse. That means the overall grade will be a 65 (the grade is usually dominated by the obverse).

The chatter in the field and the marks on his neck are what bring down the grade on teh obverse. Overall, I'd say its a nice, attractive coin for the price.

I view this piece as an MS-64+ or maybe an MS-65. The reverse is "all there" for a higher grade, but the obverse, which is more important, pulls it down to the 64+, 65 level.

The little hit on the neck is so prominent it drags down an otherwise MS 66 coin. The strike is outstanding so...............it may get MS 66 anyway.