• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GSA Morgans

4 posts in this topic

Made an interesting discovery about GSA Morgan Dollars today. I was looking at some of the sets close in ranking to mine and noticed that some had higher values for coins with GSA designations. My Morgan set was graded by PCGS, so when I entered them on the registry I missed the GSA designation option. I went back and re-entered my 1882 cc today from MS63 without GSA (745 points) to MS63 with GSA (1021 points) and it jumped by 276 points. I have an 1884 cc graded MS65 in my set, but also own a duplicate 1884 cc graded MS64 with a GSA designation. I did check to see if the GSA designation would push the point value of the MS64 over the non GSA MS65, but it did not. However, I noticed that the MS64 GSA coin was awarded LESS points than the non GSA MS64 of the same year. That was not true with the MS63 GSA 1882cc that I upgraded earlier today.

While registry points really don't mean squat to my enjoyment of the hobby, I did find the difference in the way the registry values the two to be interesting.

The reason is probably because of the number pieces from the original mintage that where held in the GSA holdings. More than 84% of the entire 1884 CC mintage was in the GSA holdings while the percentage of the 1882 CC was lower. (53%)

It has something to do with the number of coins that are in GSA holders.

I don't get the Blue Sheet any more, which provides prices for certified coins sight unseen, but when I was getting it some CC dollars in the GSA cases with the NGC grading band around them brought far higher bids that their raw and conventionally certified counterparts. Only a small number of these dates were in the GSA hordes, and that number has become smaller because a number of pieces have been cracked out of the government holders. Back in the 1980s and lot of collectors and dealers disliked the GSA packaging and cracked many coins out.