• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help with a Washington Quarter!

5 posts in this topic

I found this 1963-D Washington Quarter in one of the Mint sets I purchased a while back. I thought that it may have been an DDO/FS-101 to begin with, But it doesn't match up with the FS-101 designation as there is no obvious doubling on "Liberty". There appears to be some doubling on the date but I feel that there is something more going on with the Motto "In God We Trust". I am still learning about the different types of doubling and I think this may be a form of strike doubling but I am not sure. Any help is greatly appreciated!

1963-DWashingtonMicro3_zpsb6affa8f.jpg

1963-DWashingtonMicro1_zpsd115686c.jpg

There also appears to be something going on with the Mint Mark on the Reverse as well.

1963-DWashingtonMicro4_zps1faf1756.jpg

1963-DWashingtonMicro2_zps21ac9be0.jpg

Aye. Mechanical doubling.

Notice how the tops of IGWT look sheared off. On the mint mark, the secondary D is a bit smashed, and just a touch larger than the primary one. You'll probably also see similar doubling on other design elements near the mint mark. On pre-1989 coins, this is almost always a dead giveaway for strike doubling.