• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1911 cent

27 posts in this topic

This is one of my first early MS lincolns.

When I bought the coin I loved it for the luster, toning, color and surfaces.

I was naïve when I bought it, but I think my instincts led me well.

Also this was a coin in the first and only group that I submitted myself with my own membership for grading.

The luster is strong on both the obverse and reverse. There is some splotchy toning, but it is only seen a certain angles. I have seen many BN's with the same issue.

Other than a few small marks on the cheek the surfaces are very nice.

My grade then and now. 64

NGC grade 62

No wear. I am not sure how or why there would have been a silent net grade.

In any case it was not worth submitting then, and I don't plan on doing it again. Looks real nice in the album.

Here is a link I found in a gtg I started on this coin with my crappy slab shots a year ago.

Bob's pics represent the coin very well.

Usually the culprit in these threads is the images, but Bob Campbell is excellent. As such, that leads me to believe that either the coin was silently net graded or it is under graded by at least three points.

Are there any signs of an old cleaning? Sometimes coins without noticeable hairlines may have been cleaned long ago and find their way into net graded holders. It isn't the norm, but it wouldn't be the first time that it has happened.

Edited to add: For kicks and giggles, I would submit this to CAC.

Usually the culprit in these threads is the images, but Bob Campbell is excellent. As such, that leads me to believe that either the coin was silently net graded or it is under graded by at least three points.

Are there any signs of an old cleaning? Sometimes coins without noticeable hairlines may have been cleaned long ago and find their way into net graded holders. It isn't the norm, but it wouldn't be the first time that it has happened.

Edited to add: For kicks and giggles, I would submit this to CAC.

No Kenny,

There is no cleaning. For kicks and giggle I almost had Mark Feld submit this coin to CAC several months ago.

I decided that either I would get a gold bean and have a coin still worth far less than I had in it.

Or I would get a green bean (seriously doubt that) and be even more upset.

Regardless the coin has not been in the holder for a while. I sent it back to the album.

Bob's photos are wonderful which is why I decided to reopen an old thread with this one.

Jim

It is hard to believe that that coin only made MS-62.

Years ago I had this 1909-S graded, and it only got an MS-64, Brown. I thought that it was an MS-65 or 66 Brown. Looking at the POP reports it seems that it is hard to get a high grade brown copper coin in a high grade holder like MS-65 or 66.

1909-SIndianO.jpg1909-SIndianR.jpg

MS 62 suggests the coin should have NEGATIVE eye appeal according to the book. I think they should have a Grader Dunk Tank at all major shows to even the score for such travesties.

Do they think it was dipped?

If it was dipped they would not of given it 62.

That really does baffle me. I was an on the fence 64/65 but 62 seems pretty out of line.

Get that CAC 'under-graded' sticker. I really don't think seen a better candidate in a quite some time.

That really does baffle me. I was an on the fence 64/65 but 62 seems pretty out of line.

Get that CAC 'under-graded' sticker. I really don't think seen a better candidate in a quite some time.

Are you stating that dipped Lincoln cents cannot grade MS62?

I doubt it.

I doubt it.

You would be mistaken. And you stated "If it was dipped they would not of given it 62."

I doubt it.

You would be mistaken. And you stated "If it was dipped they would not of given it 62."

Still doubt it.

I doubt it.

Still doubt it.

Doubt it all you want - you appear to prefer to be stubborn and pretend that you know what you're talking about, rather than to learn.

I doubt it.

Still doubt it.

Doubt it all you want - you appear to prefer to be stubborn and pretend that you know what you're talking about, rather than to learn.

Please teach me.

I'm so glad that on a forum, discussing the grading of a coin based on 2 pictures we can only speak in total absolutes.

Yep. I'm the stubborn one.

Bobby 2.0

I doubt it.

Still doubt it.

Please teach me.

I'm so glad that on a forum, discussing the grading of a coin based on 2 pictures we can only speak in total absolutes.

Bobby 2.0

You are the one who spoke in "absolutes" when you stated "If it was dipped they would not of given it 62"

You didn't qualify your statement in any way, with a word such a "probably" or "usually" or "I think". Instead, you made a statement, which was incorrect.

My opinions are based on my experience as a full time coin dealer since 1979 and a former NGC grader.

I tried to help you. But you don't seem to want to learn, and you resort to being sarcastic. You also appear to like to get the last word, so I'm done.

I doubt it.

Still doubt it.

Please teach me.

Bobby 2.0

You are the one who spoke in "absolutes" when you stated "If it was dipped they would not of given it 62"

You didn't qualify your statement in any way, with a word such a "probably" or "usually" or "I think". Instead, you made a statement, which was incorrect.

My opinions are based on my experience as a full time coin dealer since 1979 and a former NGC grader.

I tried to help you. But you don't seem to want to learn, and you resort to being sarcastic. You also appear to like to get the last word, so I'm done.

"Last word"