• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PPIE Commemorative Experimental Pieces at FUN.

5 posts in this topic

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/landing.aspx

NGC will exhibit a group of Panama-Pacific “pattern pieces” at FUN next month. These are experimental and piece-de-caprice coins struck from the original dies, which lacked the “S” mint mark. Be sure to see these, and bring your magnifying glass – gold dollars are tiny!

McAdoo, as Secretary of the Treasury, approved all of the PPIE commemorative designs. However, there is no evidence that he ordered special pieces struck. The original dies lacked the “S” mint mark by intent. The Philadelphia Mint Superintendent did not have the “S” added because he believed that legislation stipulating that all the pieces were to be struck at the San Francisco Mint was sufficiently clear about which mint produced the commemoratives.

Experimental and trial pieces were made of all the PPIE coins from the first dies and none of these had mint marks. Working dies were shipped to San Francisco and these also lacked mint marks. The omission was brought to Director Woolley’s attention, and Woolley ordered the “S” to be added to all working dies. Dies that had been received in San Francisco were returned unused, and those in transit were recovered.

If you pick up a copy of Renaissance of American Coinage 1909-1915 you can learn the details of this commemorative issue. You will also discover what Treasury officials at the Exhibition thought of Zerbe and his inept sales plans.

Very cool, Roger. I'll have to check it out when I am there. I really like that $1 coin design. I always carry a 10x/20x loupe with me but most exhibits have the coins in a glass case and you are frequently too far away from the coins to appreciate them.

If this is the entire certified population, that must have been some effort to get them all together. Well done, NGC! It makes me wonder if one person owns multiple examples. Very cool. :)

most exhibits have the coins in a glass case and you are frequently too far away from the coins to appreciate them.

A tablet and a cheap USB scope can help here a great deal.

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/landing.aspx

NGC will exhibit a group of Panama-Pacific “pattern pieces” at FUN next month. These are experimental and piece-de-caprice coins struck from the original dies, which lacked the “S” mint mark. Be sure to see these, and bring your magnifying glass – gold dollars are tiny!

McAdoo, as Secretary of the Treasury, approved all of the PPIE commemorative designs. However, there is no evidence that he ordered special pieces struck. The original dies lacked the “S” mint mark by intent. The Philadelphia Mint Superintendent did not have the “S” added because he believed that legislation stipulating that all the pieces were to be struck at the San Francisco Mint was sufficiently clear about which mint produced the commemoratives.

Experimental and trial pieces were made of all the PPIE coins from the first dies and none of these had mint marks. Working dies were shipped to San Francisco and these also lacked mint marks. The omission was brought to Director Woolley’s attention, and Woolley ordered the “S” to be added to all working dies. Dies that had been received in San Francisco were returned unused, and those in transit were recovered.

If you pick up a copy of Renaissance of American Coinage 1909-1915 you can learn the details of this commemorative issue. You will also discover what Treasury officials at the Exhibition thought of Zerbe and his inept sales plans.

Wish I could go to see these in person.

My favorite chapter in the book. Very detailed.

(thumbs u