• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone care to join me

9 posts in this topic

in reporting this slime to the Secret Service and the Postal Inspectors? Our "friends" at National Collector's Mint need to be stopped! They are also peddling phony Washington DC and Puerto Rico "State Quarters", along with other garbage viewable here, and I for one am getting pretty sick of them. The Secret Service website doesn't have a report form or e-mail address, but it does list all field offices, and their nearest office should be listed in the government section of your phone book. The postal inspectors have an on-line reporting form here.

Just maybe, a number of complaints from across the country will motivate one or both agencies to take action.

Apologies in advance to anyone who has to see this posting in multiple forums, but I plan to post it on every forum I belong to.

I really don't see any problems with them.. they are just doing what alot of other companies do... takes Famous US coins... and make copies of them... also the state qtrs have been so done over by many people.. Tailban, Arkanas, etc etc.. I see nothing wrong with this at all.. if you don't like them, then don't buy from them... all the replicas they sent out have copy on them.....

Yeah, they kind of annoy me, too. In my opinion, they cheapen the hobby with their tacky reproductions but we do live in a free enterprise economy.

There really isn't anything wrong with their products. The problem is with their advertising tactics. The pictures they use fail to show that the word copy is embedded on the coins, which makes them legal.

If they advertised their products as they actually are, the company would sell the same amount of products. The seem to have enough money with all of their advertising that they could establish their own name as replicators of American coins or something. Mention the coin has the word copy on the rim, but with our special plastic holder, it will not be visible if you display it. Get a phrase like why pay $100,000 for this coin when you can pay $14.98 ang get a free protective holder. That will draw as many customers as their current advertising.

Around the holidays they can advertise that they are a great gift for kids, or for someone who is starting to show interests in coins. It has the potential to bring many more potential collectors into the hobby, and send them into many different parts of it. If the company just used more truthful advertising, I think they could gain a lot of business.

I also understand your complaint but realize there is very little that can be done about it. And although their advertisements on tv or in their mailings are extremely misleading by not telling the prospective buyer about the word "COPY" that will be on the coin somewhere.

The only coin I ever thought worth purchasing from them was the 1933 double eagle they made for the Northern Marianna Islands and is supposedly legal tender.

Here is what it looks like without COPY on it as I bought 5 of them prior to all the ruckus they caused. (And glad I did!).

628395-33de001.jpg628396-33de002.jpg

If you didn't know what the difference is between the real one and these "counterfeits", I suppose you could find someone that would take it for a real $20 gold piece, but I doubt you could spend it at your local grocery store! Well, then again, maybe you could if the clerk was on his toes and thought it worth more then the $20!

Generally, I dislike items like this, but that's because it just isn't what I collect. However, a few months ago, I actually placed an order for three "Missouri State Quarters". At about $30, I thought the cost was reasonable, and I received the coins within five days of ordering. The quality of the coins was exemplary (they were "proofs"), and honestly, they put our own Federal US mint to shame. (You may recall that the Mint claimed it couldn't manufacture the original design to high quality standards, so they severely "dumbed down" the original).

So I have actual first-hand experience with this company, and speaking strictly from that perspective, I was pleased with what I purchased. I do not know how satisfied other customers have been, however. BTW, the coin complied with Federal law with the word "COPY" being cleverly embedded in George's hair.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's hard to judge a company until you've actually dealt with it, isn't it? So far, based on only one transaction, I have no complaints.

James

I agree with the other they are doing nothing wrong. The only thing I don't understand is why coin collectors buy copies in the first place. makepoint.gif

But hey to each his(her) own.

Smitty