• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looks like that toned 23-S MS65 Peace $ is up for auction again...

76 posts in this topic

And we have a final hammer price...

$9987.50...

It didnt even break $10k this time...

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1201&lotNo=6075&lotIdNo=146001

Thats off about $1500 from the previous sale...

http://www.legendmorphyauctions.com/search/details/c/Classic_U.S._Coins/g/Silver_Dollars?id=100643&LotId=1031

Not as bad as it could have been but still disappointing. I was really hoping this one would continue to head higher - but maybe this isnt the coin to do so.

It's great advertising for Legend Morphy!

How so?

Something like "you too can buy a coin that will sell for less months later!" lol

How so?

Something like "you too can buy a coin that will sell for less months later!" lol

Thats what I was thinking... "We Bring the Hype!!!"

I think eventually this coin will break the $11,500 price but it may be a couple of years before it does.

And we have a final hammer price...

$9987.50...

http://www.legendmorphyauctions.com/search/details/c/Classic_U.S._Coins/g/Silver_Dollars?id=100643&LotId=1031

Not as bad as it could have been but still disappointing. I was really hoping this one would continue to head higher - but maybe this isnt the coin to do so.

The "final hammer price" was $8500. The final price realized (hammer plus the buyer's premium) was $9987.50.

One of the pluses for LM is they charge no seller fees

Seller receives 100% of the hammer price.

Therefore the seller of the $10+ coin collected all the money

Not so with the latest sale at HA. The seller received something between $8k-$9k

HA receives both seller and buyer premiums.

Not so with the latest sale at HA. The seller received something between $8k-$9k

Since, as Mark said, the hammer price was $8500, the seller would receive something closer to $7000.

How so?

More along of the lines of "we sold a coin for substantially more than the identical coin, including the same photos sold for in Heritage's (competitor's) 2014 January FUN sale; Legend Morphy delivers for its consignors." When selling expensive coins, this thread would definitely make me give Legend Morphy a closer look.

And we have a final hammer price...$9987.50...

It was an exciting and interesting auction to contemplate and follow. I think the approximate 10G (9987.50 + shipping & handling) paid by the buyer was close enough to the previous sale of 11.5G to be considered about equivalent. It's not a very significant fluctuation in value.

Also we're not in position to properly guess the motivations of any of the consignors or buyers. For example, the previous owner may possibly have enjoyed looking at it for a while and then felt he'd gotten enough pleasure already, and wouldn't look at it much again, so decided to sell.

And we have a final hammer price...$9987.50...

It was an exciting and interesting auction to contemplate and follow. I think the approximate 10G (9987.50 + shipping & handling) paid by the buyer was close enough to the previous sale of 11.5G to be considered about equivalent. It's not a very significant fluctuation in value.

Also we're not in position to properly guess the motivations of any of the consignors or buyers. For example, the previous owner may possibly have enjoyed looking at it for a while and then felt he'd gotten enough pleasure already, and wouldn't look at it much again, so decided to sell.

I wouldn't consider a 13% loss (comparing final total prices realized) insignificant. The two auctions are not equivalent.

Since, as Mark said, the hammer price was $8500, the seller would receive something closer to $7000.

Bob, your ballpark estimate of $7000 received by the consignor is far off the mark.

In a worst case scenario, a consignor would receive 90% of hammer, which in this case would amount to $7650. And depending upon the particulars, some consignors receive 100% of hammer, or even more.

Bob, your ballpark estimate of $7000 received by the consignor is far off the mark.

In a worst case scenario, a consignor would receive 90% of hammer, which in this case would amount to $7650. And depending upon the particulars, some consignors receive 100% of hammer, or even more.

I stand corrected. The contract I signed for my consigned coins was 10%. Still, 0% is better in this case.

I stand corrected. The contract I signed for my consigned coins was 10%. Still, 0% is better in this case.

Bob, part of my point was that even if the seller were paying a 10% (seller's) commission rate, he would net $7650, not (your ballpark estimate of) $7000. Your estimate would require that the seller pay a (seller's) commission of approximately 17 1/2%. It was almost as if you confused the buyer's commission and the seller's commission.

How so?

More along of the lines of "we sold a coin for substantially more than the identical coin, including the same photos sold for in Heritage's (competitor's) 2014 January FUN sale; Legend Morphy delivers for its consignors." When selling expensive coins, this thread would definitely make me give Legend Morphy a closer look.

I guess thats the difference between whether you are a collector in it for the long haul or just trying to flip for a buck. The way I see it it means that you're probably paying more for coins through Legend. I am not selling so...for me it makes Legend look unattractive. (shrug)

The "final hammer price" was $8500. The final price realized (hammer plus the buyer's premium) was $9987.50.

Thank you for clarifying. I was more concerned with the final price paid for the coin not what the cosigner received.