• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shield Pennies

6 posts in this topic

What am I missing?

Good day all, I'm still a rookie in the coin collecting field. As such, I'm starting out with small and careful steps. I have noticed the selling prices of the shield pennies from 2010 and up, both MS and PF going for some big dollars and for the life of me I do not know why. What am I missing?

Happy collecting!

Scott

See more journals by Smiele

Hi Scott! Welcome aboard.

Your question is a good one and believe it or not has somewhat of an easy answer.

Most of the circulation issue coins in high grades (67, 68, 69) have very low populations thus far in their grading numbers. For example, the 2010 P cent has a number of about 150 in MS67RD, not necessarily low but considering the pops for the higher grades (none in MS68RD and only 3 in MS69RD) it is effectively the high grade and many sellers play on that thus setting higher prices.

As another example, the 2012 D cent has a decent number in MS67RD but only 3 graded in MS68RD, again effectively making the MS67RD the top pop.

However, except for the 2010 P and D coins, you can find an MS67RD for well under $100 if you are patient. Check out the auctions by "datentype" on ebay. He is very well known and very good at offering a wide variety of modern coins in high grades.

For the populations of the coins, check out the Coin Explorer section of this website under the NGC Research tab at the top of the page. Search by year and MM to see what each coin has as a population per grade. The individual pages also give you a guide for most coins as to expected price per grade.

Hope all of this helps. Drop a line if you need more info.

Michael

Scott,

With what Michael reports on the low population for higher grades is true. Now add in that the Lincoln cent pieces are the highest collected of all coins and that leaves the few nice pieces for those that will spare the expense to own them. :)

Rick

Hi Scott,

As a rule be very careful about so-called "rare" modern U.S. coins. 2010 Lincoln cents are very common. While only a few may have received high grades today, you can expect to see many more high grade coins in the future. Don't spend too much money on 2010 Lincoln cents as the prices are likely to drop as more high grade coins appear on the market over the next few years.

A good example of how prices fall look at 1991 P and D Kennedy Half Dollars. At one point MS 67 examples were "rare" and the I could sell such coins for $100 or more. Now that more MS 67 examples have appeared the prices have dropped significantly. Good Luck!

Regards,

MV Coins